Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to dailey624
Default Top Bass Flies

I was wondering what everyone's favorite topwater flies are for bass(Smallmoiuth, Largemouth, Stripers, and White). I have tied up the divers and muddlers and a few sculpins, but none of them have been dynamite. I was wondering if there are any that people use as the go to fly.

Also, are the deer hair heads better than the foam or is there really no difference in them.

Justin
Old 07-23-2008, 09:57 PM

For top water I like poppers and Dahlberg Divers. I tie my own and prefer the look of deer hair. I also think that bass hang on to them a little long because of the feel. I recently tied some from old wine corks. They are very large, but I think they look good. I just tied up some stealth bombers, but have not fished them yet. I live outside of Memphis in North MS. The temps here have been in the high 90s so top water is all but over until the fall. Below are two of the cork flies I tied and one deer hair popper. Let me know what you think.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to dailey624

Those are pretty neat looking. I bet those flies will work pretty well too. Have you ever fished any of Kelly Galloup flies? The big articulated ones?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Yes
I have used Kelly Galloup's flies and I have had great success with his patterns. I really enjoy tying the deer hair patterns and fishing them on top like a snake or frog or swimming them deep with a full sinking line like a baitfish.
Tater
Old 07-24-2008, 04:04 PM

For largemouth and smallies, I like black or chat. green foam poppers, Stealth Bombers, Gurglers,but my favorite is a black/yellow spun deerhair popper with rubber legs. Dave Whitlock style. I buy those. I haven't fished for stripers. White bass I have caught a few on top in the breaks on crease poppers and pencil poppers.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 PM

Default Nice Flies

Mick in MS,
Very nice flies! those look like they would land some big ones . Cork looks like a great material to tie poppers with. Good luck with the new flies.
Mark <::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 PM

Default My top topwaters

Daily 624,
For lagemouth I use <>< Rainy's rattln' frog 2/0 <>< Bett's asorted popper patterns(black/yellow bee, silver/red stripe, chartruse/white mottled) in sizes 1,2,3 <>< Bett's green/chartruse deer hair w/ feather wings in 1/0. This is what works for me, give 'em a try. Hope to one day tie my own flies and save.. lol... some money. Good fishin to ya!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."

Last edited by bigpopper; 07-26-2008 at 08:53 PM..
Old 07-26-2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks! I have tied up some of the galloups flies, but have not really had a chance to try them out. I tied some of the sdungeons, I took them to a local pond and they are a lot to handle on a 7 weight. I am going to try an make some smaller ones so they may be a little easier to cast I posted some pics on another thread. Here is a different one. Let me know what you think.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 PM

Default 7wt to a 8wt

MickinMS,
I'm guessing that youare using a 7wt rod/7wt reel/7wt float line. Don't know if you know this but you can go up or down 1 weight on your float line and the reel and rod can handle it no probs. I personally use a 7-8wt rod 7-9wt reel, and currently using an 8wt. high viz blaze orange float line.I'd bet if you just went up to an WF8wt line it would make a big difference in getting those big flies out there. I just changed out my old WF9wt line out with the new WF8wt line. So I know first hand the rods can handle it. I just went down to an 8 wt line because they were out of the 9wt when i bought the new line. If you are looking for a certain brand, there are alot out there, but me being "cheap" I look for a great deal. There is a new line company called SUPER LINE high quality line at rasonable prices. About $25 w/ tax (premium lines) and about $19 w/tax (standard lines), I went for the premium line because I do both fresh and salt fly fishing , it has an extra dacron coating and its core is better quality, its been worth every penny. I found the float line at a "sporting goods" store here in Franklin,Tn. Check out Little River Outfitters online store , maybe they carry it . Anyways, I hope some of this helps. Great fishin to ya!

Old 07-26-2008, 09:53 PM

Big Popper,

I am currently using 7wt WF intermediate on my rod. It is an cortland clear and it feels really niceon my rod. I am using the intermediate to get these flies down deeper. I also have an SA Bass Bug taper that throws big poppers fine. The problem with the SDungeon flies I tied is that because they are articulated they are they are extremely wind resistant. I may have also tied the deer hair too full. I downsized the deer hair head and used a little less marabou. I am hoping these will work. Thanks for the info on the lines I will check it out.