Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 AM

Thanks Kent, That helps me for sure. I tied one a couple of nights ago on the red eagle claw sz. 6 wide gap bait holder hooks. I had to be careful of the baitholder tabs but on the other hand they do a great job of holding everything up top on the hook.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:39 PM

Gary, I prefer a 5wt or 6 wt to throw my standard #6 SB. A 4wt will do it for a good caster, but it's a lot more work. Plus I'll often throw it with a dropper down about 24" - fairly cumbersome and wanting a larger loop.

As to which TFO, I like (and use) `em all . No, really. You should definitely try TiCR, CRX, and the Axiom. All are quite powerful. The TiCR is the fastest if you measure rod speed by tip vs mid flex. If you measure rod speed by the rebound rate of the blank, then the answer is probably different. But man, all this is pretty subjective and dependent on the individual. All three deservedly have their diehard fans. You should throw them & see which fits.

----------
Bran, happy it helps. To keep the body from twisting - before putting the thread on the hook, I hit the hook shank with a small file - very lightly, 2 or 3 times. The Gammy hook is very slick and a good, tight thread base is the key to no spinning. Make tight wraps about halfway down the shank, then use the smallest drop of superglue & finish the wraps. When I tie down the foam at the back and the center, I also just wet an half inch of thread with super glue.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 PM

Default Smaller SB's

Kent -

What hook are you using for the smaller sizes? Gamakatsu's website shows the B10S only down to #6. I'd like to make some #10's but I'm not sure what hook to use.

sb
Old 08-17-2008, 06:12 AM

Steve, I don't really `em tie smaller than the #6 much. But for smaller sizes, the Gamakatsu SC15 will work. Strangely, though it's a saltwater hook, it's a lighter wire than the B10S and comes in smaller sizes. It's also smaller for the same # hook.

For small topwater bugs for bream (& bass), I tie the Tokyo spider.