Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-25-2008, 05:02 PM

Default Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH NO!

There have been all sorts of posts about different critter hazards in the park. Bears, boars, snakes, spiders. Well, my son found a new one today. He got a fly hung up in a rhododendron and started yanking on it - apparently the hornets who had built a nest in the tree didn't care too much for that and stung him twice in the face. Good thing he's not allergic - it hurt pretty much for a while but eventually eased up. Here's a picture of the culprits' home up on Lynn Camp Prong.

For those fishing LCP, there's a huge rock leaning on another rock right next to the trail about 1 1/2 miles up Middle Prong Trail. There's a beautiful pool just above that where the water spills down between two huge rocks. The nest is on the right side of the stream looking upstream. BEWARE!!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-25-2008, 05:13 PM

That sure is bad is he ok and thanks for the warning

brown trout man
Old 07-25-2008, 07:31 PM

BTM,
He's just fine now. Thanks for asking.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 07-25-2008, 09:05 PM

whew, missed one myself a few years back fishing from a canoe on a local pond. Had a deceiver on and was doing the old chuck and duck cast when by the grace of God I missed the nest by one eight of an inch. bad medicine these guys are.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 PM

Glad he's ok...on our last trip, my youngest got stung by a bumblebee in, of all places, the upper lip....it swelled up so bad she looked like Lisa on "The Simpsons". But, in a few hours, the swelling was gone.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 PM

Those are bald face or white faced hornets, and they can be bad news. For some reason they almost always sting you around the head or face area. They usually build their nest in decidious trees. I usually see a dozen or more on most every stream I fish, so keep your eyes open
Old 07-26-2008, 12:35 AM

nvr2L8,

Glad your son is O.K. I started in May counting the hornet nest that I saw while fishing. The count stands at 14. I have spotted these nest on Little River, Lynn Camp,Greenbrair, Elkmont above the houses,Cataloochee below the Palmer Place, Cosby and 3 on the lower end of Oconaluftee just above the Job Corps bridge. I have been very lucky this year about not getting stung. This is the most nest I have ever seen in the park. Most years I will see a couple of nest up high in the trees but this year they have been down low. I do not understand why they are so low this year. My grand dad told me when Bees or Hornets or Yellow Jackets make their nest low we will have a bad winter. I don't know if this is ture or not. It could be an old wise tell. If anyone fishes the creeks be on the look out for these nest...

May God Bless You...

Bill
Old 07-26-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_Man_Bill View Post
nvr2L8,

My grand dad told me when Bees or Hornets or Yellow Jackets make their nest low we will have a bad winter. I don't know if this is ture or not. It could be an old wise tell. If anyone fishes the creeks be on the look out for these nest...

May God Bless You...

Bill
Interesting stuff. Some of those old tales are fairly accurate.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:15 PM

Default Bee Aware!

Thanks nvr2l8 and fly man bill, i'll keep my eyes peeled. I'll be up in GSMNP next week, be doing some fly fishing on the little river near Townsend. Glad your son is doing better nvr2L8. Great fishin to yall!
Mark <::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 07-27-2008, 08:27 PM

I hate em, fish love em If you don't carry a bee or yellow jacket imitation this time of year, you should It doesn't get much easier to tie than these form cylinders. Just add some hackle and hackle tip wings.

Last edited by flyman; 07-27-2008 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: gentics have been cruel to me