Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-27-2008, 07:04 PM

Default Help...Fishing and car camping spot.

Hey all,
I am planning a trip to go fishing in the park on tuesday and wednesday. I would like to fish Greenbriar, WPLP, chimneys, etc..., or somewhere around that area. I want to fish then camp tues night, and get up and fish wednesday before I have to head home. Any ideas about where would be a good place to camp? I know that Elkmont and Smokemont will be packed being summer. Anybody know anything about Cosby campground? Would it have a spot open? I am just one person, and have a pickup that I can sleep in the the back of. Maybe there is another place open that I don't know about that someone out there does. Help Please!!!

Thanks,

Todd Grainger
Chattanooga, TN
Old 07-27-2008, 07:18 PM

Cosby should have plenty of spots - the only time I've seen it close to full was the 4th of July weekend...the middle of the week should be fine...to be sure, go to the park's website and perhaps give them a call. Cosby Creek itself offers good fishing for brookies above the camping area, and it isn't too bad of a drive to Greenbriar or Big Creek - even Cataloochee isn't too far away, via I-40. WPLPR and the Chimneys area aren't too far away, but you'll have to negotiate the traffic in Gatlinburg - again, that shouldn't be too bad in the middle of the week.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 AM

Don't give up on Elkmont so quickly, especially during the week...there are usually a couple of sites open and they have a walk in section that is usually not full....if you are camping in the back of your truck I would think that you could back into one of the parking spaces at the walk in section and spend the night there.....Elkmont is a lot closer to most of the areas you cited than cosby
Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 AM

Check the NPS reservation website- www.recreation.gov for site availablity./ I would expect you can pick up a site for a single night in the middle of the week. I've never had a problem getting a site during the week for a single night. I booked 4 nights for mid August a few weeks ago with a lot of choices.

Don't waste you time fishing around Elkmont "thar ain't no fish up there"!
Randall Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 07-28-2008, 05:41 PM

So you don't have to have a reservation at Elkmont? If they have sites open will they give one that is open, even if you don't have a reservation? If so I didn't know that. What time would I ned to get there to be sure to get one, or should I go ahead and reserve one?

When I usually fish in the park I just go for a day, and have to leave around 6 ish to get back to the nooga before too late. I am just giddy at the idea of fishing in the dusk and early morning. I know what I usually use during the day, but what would I need to use at dusk and dawn to land some good fish? Anyone know what has been working well during these 2 times?

Thanks.
TG
CHattanooga
Old 07-28-2008, 07:16 PM

Campsites can be claimed after 12 noon....this is checkout time....they usually have several sites posted that can be used after the office closes down....the reservation system is really easy and it is now site specific so that you can go on line, see what is available and chose from those after you see what is available.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 PM

KOA in Townsend has sites on the river, but they costs twice as much.