Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM

Default Estes Park, Colorado fishing

Has anyone fished in the area of Estes Park, Colorado? I would appreciate any information on the area. Does the Rocky Mt National Park have accessable wade fishing?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Barbara,

I have never fished in RMNP. I think some of the guys that work at LRO have fished inside the park and from what they have said there are some similarities to the Smokies in terms of approach and fish size. The Park has lots of wade fishing in small streams. It also has Greenback Cutthroats...

I had been thinking about trying a few of the streams in the Park when I'm out there at the end of August, but we will be in the SW part of the state during most of our trip, so it will be hard to make it up that way to fish.

Here is some info I uncovered when I was looking into fishing up there:
http://www.flyfisherman.com/rmnp/index.html
http://www.coloradofishing.net/ft_ffish1.htm
http://www.wildbasinoutfitters.com/c...ng_reports.htm

The St Vrain and Big Thompson Rivers are both in the area and the Headwaters of the Colorado River are over Trail Ridge Rd on the west side if the park...The Park is awesome, enjoy yourself.

Hope that helps. Let us know how you do!

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 AM

RMNP has great fishing. The Big Thompson or "Big T" flows out of the park through the Moraine Valley, and the terrestrial fishing is great this time of year, although this area does get a fair amount of pressure. I've caught some of my better fish in this area letting the beetle or hopper get washed up under the cut banks. It will be fun no matter where you go. This is a great place to take a 3WT and a box of dry flies. You can find cutts, brookies, rainbows and browns in the park.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 AM

I looked at a cabin on the Big Thompson not far from the park. How does that river compare, size wise, with Little River? I want to be able to safely wade by myself so a 5 foot deep river with fast current isn't what I'm looking for!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 AM

For the fishing you described, I can't think of a better river. The big Thompson is easy to wade, and the views are spectacular. That area is special to me for several reasons, but it's also where I caught my first trout on a fly. If you're willing to walk even just a little, you can find some really neat creeks to fish in the park. (This is John Gierach's stomping grounds.)
Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM

I know nothing about fishing this area or about the Big Thompson, but being curious, I searched images for the river and found a couple sites with pictures that may give you an idea what you are looking at. Of course, in different areas along its course, it may look entirely different, but these show a very wadable river:

http://www.fit2paddle.com/photokayak...904/index.html

http://wayfarer.fit2paddle.com/big_t/bigt.htm
Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 PM

I would say the river is smaller than the Little River. Fishing is very good. Just a side note. Back in the 1980's they had a flash flood there in early August. Campers on the lower part of the gorge were swept away. I think between 50-100 people lost their lives. There is a memorial there.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 PM

Here's another site about the Big T:
http://www.stvrainangler.com/big%20t...g%20report.htm

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 PM

Default Estes

There are 2 books that really describe fishing in RMNP, both by Hosmsn, one is fly fishing rocky mountain national park, other is same name, an angler's guide. They will provide you with more info than you ever imagined. My wife and i fishe dthe ara over labor day 2 years ago for 10 days. Big thompson out side the park was where we stayed and the fishing was great, plenty of access. Inside the park we used Este Angler guide servie, guide named Frank, will research exact named later if you have interest. Fishing was great, brown, brook, rainbow and colorado greenback cutt. I tried for grandslam, all four, didn't make it . Greenback, or cutthroat are awesome fighters, one day caught around 15, biggest at 18 inches. my wife got all 4 in one day. If you want more info send email to waynewoods11@comsast.net. We will be in Smokies this labor day for about 10 days, second year in a row. Neither of us can wait to get back to Estes.
WW
Old 08-04-2008, 12:01 PM

Woody55,

I tried an email but it wouldn't go through. I have done some research online and will check the library for the books you mentioned. If you have time, I would be interested in where you stayed. You can email me at trout.2620@hotmail.com. We are considering going in September, depending on lodging. Having trouble finding a cabin the first week, probably the labor day crowd. Thanks for the information.