Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM

Barbara, If I had to guess, I think the email link Woody was trying to send is actually: waynewoods11@comcast.net

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 AM

Ah, a computer person knows these things. Thanks, I will resend. (On a good day I can turn my computer on/off all by myself. )
Old 08-10-2008, 12:01 AM

I have fished the west side of the park, headwaters of the Colorado and several small creeks above Grand Lake. It's only about 30 minutes over from Estes Park on the road through the park.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:35 PM

Barbara,

I have visited and fished Estes Park numerous times, my grandparents lived there before they passed away, and I spent many summers in that beautiful place, good memories exploring the area and practically learning to fly fish there. I haven't been back in 10 years, but there are many wonderful fishing opportunities, both in and outside RMNP. As other folks have already mentioned, Moraine Park is a lovely spot, a wide open valley with (often spooky) browns and brookies in a twisting meadow stream. Many lakes are present in the park too, a number of them with Greenback cutthroat (many of these require hiking and/or camping to access) on the park's east side, and some Colorado River cutthroat on the west side of the park, both gorgeous native fish.

One of my favorite pieces of water here is the Big Thompson river downstream of the park and Lake Estes, which passes through a canyon, lovely scenery and easy access (a highway passes close to much of this stretch of river), similar in size to the Little River, lots of pocket water, some riffles and holes, Browns and Rainbows here, most fish 10-14" and healthy, although I've caught a few Browns 15-16", and seen a few closer to 20". Both nymphs (especially rubberlegs stones, #8-12) and bushy attractor dries can work here in the summer (don't forget to target the quiet river edges and back eddies, often the better Browns reside there). Good stuff, and lots of options up in the Park. Hopefully you can take lots of pictures on your trip, you'll have a great time!

Iain
Old 08-20-2008, 11:59 AM

Thumbs up Thanks everyone!

I have most of the Colorado trip planned. Many thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions and advice. It is so nice to have message board participants who are quick to help out. We are lucky to be a part of such a great group of people!

I will take lots of pictures and then probably won't be able to post them but will try!!
Old 09-26-2008, 02:12 PM

Default Trip Report

We got back from Colorado last week. It was the best vacation (fishing vacation) I've ever had. Here are a few pictures. If anyone wants any specific information on the guide service, ect., email me at trout.2620@hotmail.com.

We took one guided trip to Glacier Creek and Big Thompson River in the Rocky Mountain National Park. I did a horseback ride into the Park and up to a high lake, Thunder Lake, to fish for cutbows (cross between rainbow and cutthroat). That trip was wonderful, although painful!

The rest of the time I fished on my own. Fished some every day for 7 straight days. My shoulder is worn out. But it was worth it.

Someone stole my Orvis reel out of my checked luggage at the Denver Airport coming home, the only disaster during the trip.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited by Barbara; 09-26-2008 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: pictures
Old 09-26-2008, 02:25 PM

Default Pictures

On my computer the URL comes up but not the picture. I have to click on each one individually to make it appear. I use photobucket. What am I doing wrong that the pictures won't download directly onto the board?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

Under each image you upload to Photobucket you will see 4 selections you can make for posting pics. Email/IM, Direct Link, HTML Code and Image Code.

Copy and paste "IMAGE Code".

Sorry to hear about your reel. I always carry-on all of my gear for that reason.

I just looked on mapquest and I'm about a 9 hour drive away from the Thunder Lake trailhead and my wife is going to be gone in a few weeks for a weekend. Hummmm?

Last edited by UofMontanaAlum; 09-26-2008 at 03:00 PM..
Old 09-26-2008, 04:04 PM

Well, now I get a red X and still no pictures will download.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Barbara, call me at the shop. I bet I can talk you through it.

Paula