Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 AM

Default Elkmont 7/27 Tremont 7/29

Elkmont Report 7/27/2008
I headed to the park as soon as my girlfriend left from her week long visit last Sunday. Since it was still early in the day I decided to head to Elkmont and pick up where I left off last time. I recently won a water temperature gauge from the Trout Unlimited meeting at Bass Pro so thanks to them I’ll now be able to give the water temps in my reports. The first thing that I had to do when I got there was play with my new toy. The water temperature was around 66 degrees “this was just below the camping area of Elkmont.” I was excited that I could finally test out some new fly designs that I had come up with right before my girlfriend got up here. I started of with a foam posted adams with what I am going to call a house fly nymph. I’d with in the first hour or so I had caught around 9 rainbows and 1 small brown with in about a one-hundred yard stretch. My house fly nymph was totally destroyed and I couldn’t be a happier. Unfortunately I only brought one with me so after that one was gone I had to try some others that didn’t work as well. The fishing slowed to as I got right in the campground probably because there were a lot of kids playing in the water. I refished a couple of holes after getting back to my truck just before dark and picked up another brown and a couple more rainbows. Most of my fish came on nymphs although I did get a lot of strikes on my dry most of them didn’t hook up.

Tremont Report 7/29/2008
I headed up to Tremont yesterday afternoon and decided to fish the area right before the institute. The water temperature was almost 70 degrees. I started off fishing a streamer that I had tied over the weekend “mainly just to see how it looked moving through the water. I fished really well; although it didn’t catch any fish I was surprised to see a couple of larger sized trout slap at it in such a small stream. I then decided to give a method of fishing that Hugh Hartsell talked about at the last Trout Unlimited meeting. I tied an 8 foot piece of 5x tippet on as a leader and fished a tandem nymph selection. Do to their recent success at Elkmont I decided to go with my bead head house fly nymph tied below a flashback pheasant tail nymph. I immediately began to catch fish. I was amazed at how I could control drag with just using the tippet as a leader. By time to go I had caught around 8 rainbows and 1, 9in brown. So props to Hugh for helping me out .

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 AM

John,

I moved to Maryville from Brandon, MS about 3 1/2 years ago and got transferred back to MS last June . I also caught the Trout bug pretty bad and get back up that way for a little work and alot of fishing about twice a month. Shoot me an email at techols@missco.com and see if we can hook up next time I am up that way...should be next week or the following week.

Enjoy your life in God's country because I miss it more than you can imagine. Hope to hear from you soon.

Tracy Echols
Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 PM

Default tandem nymph rig fishing tecnique

John,
My thanks to you and all the others who attended the TU meeting and thanks to your leaders for asking me to speak. It is good to hear that you put this method into practice and that it worked well for you. Try to keep using it as you have the opportunity, and keep expanding your skills at it. It's just a matter of time until you will hook into some of the biggest trout in the Park by fishing this method. Someone will see you fishing this method and they will want to know how to become proficient at it. This will give you the chance to pass on some of those casting and mending skills that I talked about. You are opening more than one door by adding this new method to your repertoire.
Hugh
Old 07-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Hartsell View Post
John,
My thanks to you and all the others who attended the TU meeting and thanks to your leaders for asking me to speak. It is good to hear that you put this method into practice and that it worked well for you. Try to keep using it as you have the opportunity, and keep expanding your skills at it. It's just a matter of time until you will hook into some of the biggest trout in the Park by fishing this method. Someone will see you fishing this method and they will want to know how to become proficient at it. This will give you the chance to pass on some of those casting and mending skills that I talked about. You are opening more than one door by adding this new method to your repertoire.
Hugh
Mr. Hartsell,

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me, generally speaking, is it better to stay out of the water when fishing the back country above Elkmont, etc and stand on the bank and just roll cast, or is getting in the water o.k. if I'm quiet? I read your web site, but I wanted to know which was better overall: Bank or Wading. Thanks. BRF. Also, have you written any books? Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:03 PM

Default fishing methods in the backcountry

Hi, BlueRaiderFan,
I do use both methods when I'm fishing because sometimes you just can't reach some of the good spots if you don't get into the water. I would just emphasize that you should be as stealthy, and move as slowly and as cautiously as you can. I found out many years ago how far away and how little movement in the water it takes to put fish on the alert. Their lateral lines can pick up wave and rock grating noises for the whole length of a pool. A good place to check this out is to watch people who are wading when you're walking up the Little River Trail. They may be moving as cautiously as they can, but smart fish will begin to settle down out of sight as they feel the waves that a person makes coming upstream and going over them. That tells me to stay out of the water and keep your false cast as minimal as you can. The closer to broken, riffley water that you get, the less fish will be able to detect you. This is where "highstickin" comes into play. Practice it often. I want to go back to John's original post. I would ask him and others to elaborate on their fishing methods and how they approach the water. You will probably run into some of them and they can pass on a ton of "on the stream " help to you. There are times when the water gets real low that you will want to change your tactics. They can provide you with the exact way to do it.
Hugh
Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I have a degree in biology, so I am familiar with the lateral line system, but not "high stickin'." If you don't mind my asking, what is it?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM

So he's fishing two nypmhs kind of as a "double dropper?"
Old 07-30-2008, 11:28 PM

Default What is highstickin?

BlueRaiderFan,
I'm going to pass on a suggestion to you instead of trying to answer your question about "What is highstickin"? There are quite a few people on this board who could explain to you very clearly about the technique of high stickin. They know what it is, and they have done it on the stream for years. They also know how effective it is. That being said, since you are fairly new to flyfishing in the Park, I don't believe that anyone could give you the complete picture as well as seeing someone using it and explaining it on the stream. One day, you will run into one of the board members on the rivers that you fish, and they will take a few minutes to show you exactly how it is done and your eyes will be opened to a long time, proven method, of taking fish from these mountain streams. Just make friends with others while you are out and it will happen very soon. After you have tried it a few times, let us know how you are progressing with it.
Hugh
Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 AM

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.