Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Troutfest

Old 09-13-2008, 01:28 PM

Default TroutFest or Fly Fishing School

Well, a few friends and I were planning on coming up to Townsend to attend one of your Beginning Fly Fishing School weekends in the Spring to learn to fish the Park. But, this Troutfest sounds like a great oppurtunity. My question is how much Smoky-Centric fishing education will actually happen at Troutfest? I know there won't be the personal rapport or on-stream demonstrations, but will fishing techniques, casting styles, and the like be discussed?

My freinds and I are just getting into fly fishing for warm water species and saltwater species down here in Louisiana (wish these storms would stop!) and would love to learn about fishing the Smoky's. I just didn't know what type of seminars there would be.

Thanks for any opinions or guidance.

Brian

P.S. I remember Byron talking about getting some LRO branded reels and packaging them with TFO rods awhile back in the fishing report, any news on that?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:10 PM

KingfisherB,

Our fly fishing classes this year are for beginners. On the second day our students are fishing on a Smokies stream. You and your friends may be beyond what we offer right now. We may have some more advanced or Smokies focused classes in the future.

Troutfest will offer casting and fishing information from a vast spectrum of anglers and fly tyers. If you have already started fly fishing Troutfest might be best.

If you want to learn more about the Smokies techniques I would suggest you have us line you up with a guide for a day. You will get a lot out of that.

I contacted the Chinese reel manufacturers but decided not to import them right now. There is some risk. If a batch of reels came in with something wrong with them I would have no recourse except to stop doing business with the company in the future. I would also need to offer a repair and warranty service. I'm not ready to take that on right now. Maybe later though. We have some nice inexpensive reels that are imported by Ross, Temple Fork and Orvis.

Byron
Old 09-13-2008, 05:41 PM

Byron,

Thanks for the response. We have a little fly fishing experience, have gone to some "Fly fishing 101" days at the local clubs and the like. We just have no idea about coldwater trout fishing. I really like your idea about one day of guided fishing then going to Troutfest (or the other way around). I check the fishing report everyday and have been itching to get back up to the mountains to try my hand. Thanks again.

Brian