Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM

Question Brook Trout Coloration

I caught a 10" fish that was apparently a brook trout a few weeks back, but it did not have the red colors that I am used to on Walker Prong brookies. It was basically dull green with white spots and little or no red. Has anyone else experienced brookies of this color?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:34 PM

flyyak,
I caught brookies up on Sams Creek that were duller in coloring and had virtually no orange on them. This was probably the second week Sams was open. I went to Road Prong not long after and caught brookies with all the vivid colors you would expect. Can't explain the difference.

Glad you were able to catch brookies in WCP - I fished up beyond the Alum Cave Bluff trailhead and only saw bows the whole time. It's a comfort to know the brookies haven't been crowded out; how far up were you?

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
It's a comfort to know the brookies haven't been crowded out; how far up were you?
I've given up trying to figure out how the specs are doing...in some streams, it seems like the bows are taking over, but in other streams, the brookies hold their own; in fact, in some places, they seem to be moving lower on the streams. Straight Fork, for example...once you get in the vicinity of the bridge about 6 miles up the road, it's almost exclusively brookies. I've caught few rainbows on that stream - it seems like the browns are squeezing them from below, and the specs are doing well up higher.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 PM

Default brook trout colors

I caught brookies from Alum Trail up to where the creek leaves the main hiway. It was strange fishing that close to all that traffic and catching brook trout.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 PM

Extra strange - I fished exactly that same area and caught all bows. It's a Twilight Zone moment!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com