Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Default Wyoming 2008 Slide Show

I have fished in Wyoming several times, but it was in Yellowstone or just outside the park. We decided to try the North Platte and Encampment rivers this year rather than Montana. Steve and I now believe that a sign should be posted at the state line indicating, "Please send us your money, but stay off our land". We hired a guide for three days to fish these two rivers. The first day we will not discuss. The last two days we had an excellent guide and caught some good fish. However, we could not leave the boat to eat lunch or do other necessary things as the land owners own the land under the river. The guide told us that on certain areas of the river people ride golf carts along the shore to take pictures of those violating the trespassing laws. The next three days we spent trying to find fishing access without fear of the $1,000 trespassing fine. I think we will be returning to Montana in the future.

Here are some pictures - http://flyfishing.hook.tv/4582

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

Last edited by donwinn; 08-07-2008 at 09:55 AM..
Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 PM

Don, it looks like you caught some nice fat pigs out there. I like the picture of the fish that is flopping out of your hands. What fly was working best for you on that trip?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 PM

donwinn,
I fished the North Platte about three years ago. It looks like the fishing was much better than what we experienced. A local shop owner there told us how good the fishing was and it turned out pitiful. The access law there is outrageous. The bad thing about our trip was that we had left Ft. Smith, Mt. on the Bighorn to try something different. What a waste. Liked your pictures.

mstone
Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 AM

Default Wyoming

Ben,

We caught some nice fish. Everything we read prior to going out there indicated that these rivers were dry fly hot spots. It probably is during the special hatch periods, but we used almost exclusively wooly buggers with caddis nymph droppers. I did catch one very nice brown on a Royal Wulff. I saw him feeding on top and caught him on the first cast. I think the picture you are referring to is actually my friend Steve. The lake in the background was beautiful. In fact that area was really special. Unfortunately, we did not go there until we were on our way back to Denver.

I know you know this since you have a relative on the Gallatin, but go to Montana if you want great fishing with river access.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:58 AM

Default North Platte

mstone,

We did catch some nice fish. We fished the upper North Platte. Of course, our first guide told us that the water had gotten too warm to fish in the Platte. We fished with him on the Encampment river the first day and caught 5 fish between the two of us - none over 12 inches. We spent most of the day listening to him talk about how great he was. It was a bad day. Phil, however, was a great guide as you can see.

I wish I could tell everyone to go to Wyoming so Montana would be less crowded, but my upbringing will not allow such deception. Maybe everyone should go to Utah, or Idaho, or Colorado, or California. Yes, that is it. Everyone should go to California to fish. I have fished there - everyone go there and fish, please!!!!!