Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Default Destin Trip in October

Its been a few weeks since I have had a chance to get on here and post something. Ive been loaded with things to do recently. However I am making one of my many trips to Destin early this October. I have already been down 3 times so far this year, but October has to be my favorite time of the year to be there. The temperature is usually in the mid 80's and the fishing is off the chain . Anybody else planning on being there early this fall??
Old 08-07-2008, 10:14 AM

I usually take my family down in the spring and sometimes a return trip in the fall. We did not make the spring trip this year and are trying to get an October trip together. Hopefully we make it. I have not tasted the sweet meat of a Pompano in over a year!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Shaggy, do you catch Pompano on the fly?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:39 AM

Shaggy, I know what you mean about missing the taste of those pompano fillets . Hope you get to make it this year. I love saltwater fishing as well as the gulf coast. I graduate college next year and am planning on moving down to the area. I'd like to work as a deckhand on a charter boat. Shaggy, do you do much fishing when visit?
Old 08-08-2008, 01:35 PM

Daniel, I have never fished for Pompano with a fly but have always wanted to give it a try. To tell you the truth, my first real fishing obsession was saltwater fishing ( pompano, cobia, spanish, kings, redfish, snapper, etc.). I actually took up trout fishing and later flyfishing just to keep me occupied until vacation time came around and I could head to the gulf. I got hooked on flyfishing as well. I only wish I could live down that way, but job and family will not allow it, at least not until the kids are grown and retirement comes around. I really hope we get down there in October!

Assasin, that would be a great job! You will learn all the tricks. If you get on a boat, be sure and post here what boat you are on so you can hook us up!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
be sure and post here what boat you are on so you can hook us up!
Ill keep that in mind . I guess next year I will be walking the docks talking to crews that might need help. Hope you get to go down this year. You might just get to taste that pompano flesh again with the pompano bite picking up in the fall.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:01 AM

Default Pompano on a fly

I have caught Pompano on a fly. Two of them were caught in the surf while I was targeting them. Several other ones were caught in Choctawhatchee Bay or Santa Rosa Sound while blind casting with a clouser. We're talking about one of the toughest fish to catch around here. I know a couple of guys that fish for Pompano exclusivly. It seems that the most productive way to catch them is using live Sandfleas cast with a long surf rod. Jig casting from the pier using spinning or bait casting gear is another popular method. It goes without saying that using a flyrod from the pier is out of the question. I saw a stepladder modified to use along the beach for Pompano last Thursday at our club meeting. The surf would have to be pretty calm to try using a contraption like that.
The spring run is better than the run in the fall normally. They are around through the summer but not as strong as during the migrating periods. Last spring there was a larger than normal run. The beach at Navarre and Pensacola were the most productive. If you want to try using a fly rod on them I'll give you some tips. Let me know. I'm not an expert but I have been fishing for them for the last 30 years or so but only about ten years with the flyrod. I don't want to spill my guts unless there is some interest in the subject.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandle View Post
I don't want to spill my guts unless there is some interest in the subject.
Spill em' . Im interested. This is my favorite section on this board and it could use some life. I caught a pomp on a small clouser while fly fishing in the surf last november. But other than that sand fleas have been my go to when specifically targeting them.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:13 PM

I agree, spill em!

Pompano is my absolute favorite eating fish. They put up a good fight as well, that has to be amplified with a fly rod! Also, you can't just go down to the market and buy it where I live.

I have never been able to catch a pompano with the sand fleas! I catch them from the pier with the jigs , HERE------>(http://www.okaloosaislandpier.com/). The spring is certainly the best, but I do catch them in the fall as well, mostly smaller ones.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:58 PM

Default Pompano on the fly

OK here are a few hints. Flies for pompano are most effective if none of the material extends beyound the hook bend. Pompano are notorious short strikers. Look at the jigs that they sell at the pier when you come down on this trip. They are much too heavy to cast with a fly rod so you must tie flies similar to them. You can't buy them off the shelf anywhere that I know of. Remember that a Clouser is a jig. Tie clousers with heavy lead eyes. Tie them the colors of the jigs. Use long shank stainless hooks. I coat the heads with epoxy that I add a couple of drops of acrylic paint. I am essentially imitating those jigs. An off white color is good as is pink. The one problem is that they are not as heavy as a conventional jig so they don't kick sand on the bottom. Fish them on the bottom with sharp jerks. Try to kick sand. Another good fly is the Merkin which of course imitates a crab. They should be fairly heavy as well. The biggest problem for a guy coming down this way infrequently is equiping with a rod that will comfortly throw heavy flies. I use a 9 weight with intermediate sink tip line. Your leader only needs to be 4 to 6 feet. I always use florocarbon 8 lb test or less. Anything to get your fly down near the bottom.
Look for deep holes near the beach. Ideal spot is where the inner bar has a break where the water is rushing out toward the Gulf. Careful now this is where people get in trouble swimming. This is the rip current. Rip currents are bad when the wind is coming pretty strong out of the south and pilling water on the beach. You aren't going to be fishing then anyway. You can spend a lot of time hiking Just to find a spot. Hope this helps. What dates are you going to be here?