Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-10-2008, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the tips on flies! Ill be there from october 4th-11th. I mostly encounter blues and ladies. I love tangling with the occasional jack. I'd like to catch more of them. Panhandle, do any of the jack crevalle in the surf move out and migrate any? Do some hang around in the bay all winter? I know they school up pretty heavy in the surf during the early fall.

Last edited by TroutAssassin; 08-10-2008 at 11:29 PM..
Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Jacks in the bay

I do not believe the jacks hang around in the bay through the winter. I'm told that they are out there now. They really move around! They are here one day and are blowing up 5 miles away the next.
Back to the Pompano flies I forgot to add that you should add some orange to them. I do it on Clousers by wrapping a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch band of orange thread behind the lead eyes before adding the wad of hair that goes over the hook point. I can't prove that truly enhances thier catchability. It can't hurt. Drop me an e-mail sometime. I should have some free time when you come down here. Maybe we can get up a trip. My address is Windknot5@cox.net.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 PM

Panhandle, thank you for the offer! I'll see what I can do. It would be nice to fish with a local!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 PM

Thumbs up Pompano

Thanks Panhandle for the great info on catching pomps on the fly. This is just what i've been lookin for. I'll be headed down to Panama City Beach/ Destin area Sept 12-19. Is this an ok time to catch them in the surf? I'll be using my 8wt rod/ WF 8wt line w/ 10lb floro leader, is this set up good enough because its all i have? The tips on the flies sound like what I had in mind. I allready have some crab patterns --> 2 Mcfleas (1 olive, 1 grey) ,
1 Bone Toad(green), 2 Antron Murkin Crabs, 1 Feeling crab(by umpqua). Will these also work on permits? Thanks in advance for any more help you can spare. Great fishin to ya!
Mark <::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 AM

Default Pompano on the fly

The flies that Bigpopper has may work as good as any. The two most important things are finding a good hole along the beach and fishing close to the bottom. The flies should not have too much material trailing behind the hook bend. They feed primarially on crustaceans such as crabs, shrimp, and thier favs-- sandfleas. That being said the Florida record was caught in St Joe Bay several years back on a 52M11 Mirrorlure a guy was using Speck fishing. To answer another question from Bigpopper: I don't know anyone who has ever caught a Permit along the panhandle of Florida. I heard rumors that one had been caught around five years ago but I don't put a whole lot of faith in that.
An 8 wt rod is the work-horse rod around here for inshore and nearshore fishing. I use a 9 weight only when slinging heavy flies for Pompano. Whatever size you may use fishing with weighted flies is hazardous to you and your rod's health. Don't worry about having a conventional tight overhead casting loop. Tilt your rod to the side. Swing up on your backcast to lesson the chance of your fly strikeing the water behind you.
I have reservations in Townesend for the middle of October and plan on puting some time in on my 4 wt. I have a trip planned for tomorrow if this rain will give us a break.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 AM

If you do get to make it out tomorrow, post up a report for us. We would love to hear how you did! What dates are you going to be up here? Sounds like I will be heading back to Tennessee at about the same time you will be heading here for your trip. If you need a fishing partner or just some advice on fly selection or what streams are fishing good in the park, post up and let me know!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Destin in October

We scrubbed our trip for tomorrow a couple of hours ago. It has been raining and lightning just about all day and more is forcast for tomorrow including 20 to 30 mile an hour winds out of the WSW. The bay is probably carrying so much sediment that you would need an Alabama license to fish it.
My wife and I have reservations at the Tallyho for 15 thru 18 October.
Sure tell me what flies I should bring. I figured on Orange Palmers or Orange Stimulators along with some BHPTs and BHHEs. I would love to fish up there with someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 PM

Thumbs up Pompano

Thanks Panhandle for the help and tips. Tight lines to ya!
Mark <::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 08-13-2008, 12:32 PM

heres just a little list of some you could use while you are down here in mid october. #14-16 Orange palmers, #14-16 Orange Stimulators, #12 Parachute adams, #18 BWO, #14-16 BHPT, attractor patterns, hoppers, and Hi-viz ants and beetles. I would be more than happy to take you out on the stream. From the looks of the dates you gave me, it looks like Wednesday evening or Friday evening would be best for me and my college schedule(Im already skipping a week for my Destin trip LOL).
Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM

Default Thanks for the tips

TroutAssassin: Thank you for the tips on the flies. I shall start tying soon. Fishing on Wednesday the 15th would be out of the question. I will have been driving all day and since my wife is coming with me on this trip I know that we won't get on the road before 9 AM. Friday the 17th should be fine.
Be sure to e-mail me a contact method so that I can take you on a trip while you are here.
Went out this morning in my buddies boat. He fished spinning while I fished with a fly rod. He got one small Speck and a Red of about 22 inches while I got a 24 1/2 inch Red . My first Red on a topwater fly! He went for it 5 or 6 times before he tasted the hook. I'd post a picture but I don't know how to do it.