Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-07-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Carp....Clinch?

I know I have seen the occasional carp in the clinch while trout fishing, but I am looking to specifically target them on the fly there if possible. I dont know if there are good numbers in there or not?? Any good fly patterns to use when target them? Will I be out gunned if I use a 5 weight . Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:34 PM

I haven't spend any time chasing carp on the clinch but on some other waters...probably could use stadard nymphs if you get them in thier sight, or use somthing with a barbell or other wieghted head to get it down quick to manuever in thier line of sight like an olive or black wolly bugger... I'd say a 5 wt is under gunned, you could do it, but a heavier stick is probably par for the course - I settled on an 8 wt - if anything its easier to get wieghted flies out easier...
Old 08-07-2008, 10:42 PM

Not too many Carp in the Clinch. After a lifetime of fishing the Clinch I think I have run into two which fell for my flies.

Better bet would be the Holston or the French Broad. Both are loaded to the gills.

You will be fine with a 5 weight, a 6 is better, but an 8 is overkill IMO and will cause too much line slap and the fly to hit to hard. Stay away from the dumbell eyed flies as well, most of our tailwaters have a bunch of weeds and dumbells will sink in the weeds and/or get hung in the rocks. Try a small white woolly bugger or black wooly bugger with enough weight to break the surface but stay away from cones, and so forth as they are too heavy. Most of your carp will be in very shallow back waters in less then 2 feet of water.

Best of luck.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 PM

Waterborn, thanks for the helpful info! Ive tangled with the occasional carp while fishing in ponds with wooly buggers and what not. I just thought sight casting to them in a tailwater would be alot of fun, and a challenge. Anybody else have anything??
Old 08-07-2008, 10:49 PM

Waterwolf thanks! what size buggers should I use, and should I use less lead wrap them when I tie them or leave the lead wrap off completely? Could I wade in both those tailwaters at low water?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:50 AM

You need some lead to get it down, but you will have better success with a semi neutrally buoyant fly rather then one that dives straight to the bottom. I would fish a size 6.

You can easily wade both when the water is off.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:19 AM

Thanks again waterwolf! Sorry to bother you with all the questions, but I have a few more. Will I be dead drifting these buggers past them or will I need to work them a little bit? Will I need to go longer than a 9ft leader?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:09 PM

Cast just past the fish (2-5 feet) let the fly sink to the fishes level, strip it across their nose and if they react towards it, stop stripping and the will suck it in. DO NOT raise your rod tip, strip set so if you miss the fly is still in the strike zone. Leader shouldn't be any longer then 9' and use 0X tippet.

Your questions are fine, and I am happy to help. Caught a few carp in my life on flies.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 PM

Waterwolf, Thank you, you have been a great help! I fish saltwater quite a bit so im used to strip setting the hook and what not. Carp will give me more of the fight im looking for when I dont feel like trout fishing. Once again, thanks for being a such a help!!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:14 PM

I always see several every time I go.

I've gotten bored occasionally and tried to fish for them with nymphs, terrestrials, sculpins, and the only thing I've ever gotten one to take is a wooly bugger.

It might get frustrating trying to catch them on the fly but If you really just want to catch one on a fly rod, you'd probably have better luck w/ some sweet corn