Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:33 PM

The Park service put out reminders that the National Park is a wild and dangerous environment. When are people going to understand that it is not an amusement park. I think the "park" in the name give it an illusion of being a park like any city park around the country. While I do feel for people getting mauled and hurt but who will ever think about the animals. It's kind of the same, when people are building cottages next door to wilderness areas and then complain that the authorities don't do anything. Who made them build where they build. I'm sick and tired of allt this shielding from reality and expect the government to take care of you. If people don't want to get hurt stay home in front of the tv or something. In other words I completely disagree with the above referenced article.

Now, lets' go fishing.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 PM

Default Conceal and Carry a Possible Answer?

I realize that there are more stupid people than not but, what if you could carry only if you had a conceal and carry permit. That would prevent a lot of your average trigger happy people from carrying. That way you at least know that the people that are carrying have had proper training, and clean back ground. As far as worried about criminals carrying guns they are going to with or with not the parks approval. I just know that I would like to carry mine when I am in the backcountry more for defense from the two legged animal that the four.

Link to Tennessee requirements for conceal and carry.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2064619_get-permit-carry-concealed-weapon.html

If that were the case I would have no problems with "hand guns" in the park. I still don't believe that there is any place for shotguns or rifles. It really stinks that because some people canít conduct them selves properly with responsibilities society as a whole gets restricted, but I guess that is just life.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 08-15-2008, 02:10 PM

Default Guns in the Park

Folks its not the guns........... Its the crazies holding them. The shame of it is that most of the people killed in the National Parks by other people are killed with guns. Maybe these deranged souls go there because the pickings are easy; typically you are alone or nearly so when hiking, they know the chances are very slim that you are unarmed. I say if they were pretty sure you were armed rather than unarmed, they would likely look elsewhere.

On the subject of the bear; a child covered in the scent of fried chicken in the park is bait. It is a shame it happened and that the animal had to be killed. I haven't heard the interview, but if the father truly told the little boy to move closer to bear that is a shame, for the boy and the bear. Both were reacting as they should have; the boy obeying and the bear reacting with defensive aggression. I have seen several as well over the years, they usually scoot off. Only when they smell food have they ever moved closer. Too bad the bear didn't know to go for the dad.
Enjoy the weekend,
John
Old 08-15-2008, 05:31 PM

I shouldn't need a permit. I have a constitutional right to keep and bare arms. Criminals and crazies don't care about a permit.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

you have the right to bear ( you can bare arms) arms, but not in areas prohibited. i can't imagine the carnage if every idiot that wants to take a gun into the park has access. 74 years and only killings have come from gun toting persons.........geez, you nra people are really a mess
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

actually no killings in this park..no guns...no killings
Old 08-16-2008, 12:21 AM

I have a concealed carry permit and I do carry while fishing, just not in the park. In the years I've carried, I've only put my hand on the firearm once and that was when I was nearly attacked by a pit bull at a local lake. The dog stopped when I was yelling at it. I would have shot it had it come closer. I'm not really worried about bears but mean dogs and two legged predators do concern me, especially when I'm fishing rather remote areas alone.

I hope and pray I never have a need to use a firearm on another person. I am well trained and have served as a range officer and instructor.

There are enough pot fields and meth labs around that a person can stumble upon one quite by accident. The meth cookers don't really care that you're just a fisherman. I do believe every person has a right and obligation to protect themselves. I couldn't use deadly force over money or property, but to protect myself or my family, I could and would.

I don't have a strong opinion if firearms should be allowed in the park. If they were allowed, I'd probably carry. Since they are not, I do not carry inside park boundaries. It's really that simple. I'm a law abiding person and the law states I cannot carry a firearm inside the park, therefore, I do not.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammcdonald View Post
actually no killings in this park..no guns...no killings
There was a man stabbed to death following an argument in Abrams Creek Campground two years ago.

Buzz,
I like your posts and typically agree with your statements, but your reasoning for not allowing people to carry in the Park could just as easily be applied to society as a whole. There are idiots everywhere that shouldn't carry a gun anywhere. Still, they have the right to do so.

Gun laws only effect law-abiding citizens. The law should give us the freedom to act responsibly, and then hammer those who do not.

I do not carry a firearm in the Park, but only because it is the law. And personally, I feel a little exposed and vulnerable when not armed. It's not bears, lions, or bigfeet that I am worried about. It's the "two-legged varmint" that someone posted about earlier that concerns me. When I am by myself, its not that big of a deal. But when I take my kids swimming at the Abrams Creek campground, I do look at some shady characters sideways, and wish that I had access to a boomstick. In the absence of a law enforcement presence, witnesses, or bystanders, a man must be able to protect himself and his family.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:18 AM

Default geez you nra people are really a mess

Im a Proud member of the N.R.A and have a concealed carry permit.People like you and that remark are every ANTI-GUN NUTS WET DREAM if it wasnt for the NRA none of us would be allowed to own a firearm.Guns dont kill people;People kill People a gun will not shoot if you dont pull the trigger. caught 108
Old 08-16-2008, 12:42 PM

I agree with what most people have said, the law says you can not carry a gun in the park so don't do it. I can only imagine that if everyone was allowed to carry a gun alot of innocent bears would be shot for no reason.

Caught108,

Whether you agree or not with sams' NRA statement, there is no need to turn this into an arguement with such a vile statement, this is a family board.