Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

just for the record, a second bear incident occured yesterday at the sinks....and it was totally provoked by a human.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman2888 View Post
I agree with what most people have said, the law says you can not carry a gun in the park so don't do it. I can only imagine that if everyone was allowed to carry a gun alot of innocent bears would be shot for no reason.

Caught108,

Whether you agree or not with sams' NRA statement, there is no need to turn this into an arguement with such a vile statement, this is a family board.
Craig,
I agree this is not the place, but Sam started it with this comment "geez, you nra people are really a mess".

The issue at hand here is bear attacks and people provoking the attack and the fact a young child was harmed in the process. If the father had a firearm would it have helped? Maybe and maybe not. We'll never know.

The fact of the matter is the law of the land prohibits firearms inside the park so this is really a moot point until such time the law would change. Anyone outside of law enforcement who carries a firearm capable of firing live ammunition inside the park (there are rules about transporting firearms through the park but they cannot be loaded, ammo and firearm have to be separate, firearm dismantled, etc.) would be breaking the law and if caught, they can and will be charged with a crime.

I'd like to suggest everyone cool the rhetoric and "stand down" a bit regardless of which side of the firearms debate one may be on.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Griffing View Post
There was a man stabbed to death following an argument in Abrams Creek Campground two years ago.

Buzz,
I like your posts and typically agree with your statements, but your reasoning for not allowing people to carry in the Park could just as easily be applied to society as a whole. There are idiots everywhere that shouldn't carry a gun anywhere. Still, they have the right to do so.

Gun laws only effect law-abiding citizens. The law should give us the freedom to act responsibly, and then hammer those who do not.

I do not carry a firearm in the Park, but only because it is the law. And personally, I feel a little exposed and vulnerable when not armed. It's not bears, lions, or bigfeet that I am worried about. It's the "two-legged varmint" that someone posted about earlier that concerns me. When I am by myself, its not that big of a deal. But when I take my kids swimming at the Abrams Creek campground, I do look at some shady characters sideways, and wish that I had access to a boomstick. In the absence of a law enforcement presence, witnesses, or bystanders, a man must be able to protect himself and his family.
Yeah and you can bet that those same degenerates have no problem with toting in a pistol if they decide to. When will people understand: LAW ABIDING citizens are not dangerous and have the right to "bear" arms. It's the delenquents (that will stab you, beat you, carry a gun and shoot you anyway) that you have to worry about and they don't care about gun laws. They carry whenever and wherever they feel like. It may be "agianst the law" to carry guns in the park, but that law is unconstitutional.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 08-17-2008 at 01:52 PM..
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammcdonald View Post
you have the right to bear ( you can bare arms) arms, but not in areas prohibited. i can't imagine the carnage if every idiot that wants to take a gun into the park has access. 74 years and only killings have come from gun toting persons.........geez, you nra people are really a mess
A person that will shoot in an offensive manner (eg not in self defense), will carry a gun or knife and use it regardless of the law. Degenerates will kill people with or without a gun and they don't obey the laws. As mentioned before, stabbings have occured in the park, most likely beatings as well. If your brain is bent, you will kill, gun or no gun. I would like to be the guy with a gun that can do something about it.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:49 PM

Guns don't kill people.....Husband's that come home early kill people.

{just a stab at some humor here}
Mark 1:17
Old 08-17-2008, 05:14 PM

WOW! This thread really blew up while ive been away
Old 08-17-2008, 07:27 PM

I have fished the park for more than 35 years. I have seen my share of bears during that time but would stop fishing in the park in an instance if firearms were permitted. It's not a NRA issue but I would not want the increased risk of injury or death when people start seeing black bears behind every tree, rock and stream and feel they must discharge a firearm to "protect" themselves.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 PM

Interesting. I have also fished the park for about 35 years and have never seen a bear while I was fishing. Flushed one out while I was hiking one day a few years back but never while fishing.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 PM

Well, to each his own. Personally I prefer to keep my 2nd ammendment rights, but that's just me. I've seen several bears, but never an agressive one. Too bad others haven't been so lucky.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:32 PM

Default Bears and Sharks

Wow what a thread. Just saw the post about "bear attack" and took a look. This thing is 5 pages. I'm not going to take any sides here but, I will say this.
I'm glad the kid is alive, however it does sound like the father was not the "sharpest hook in the box" after hearing the interviews of the kid and father. I do know this much, I have been hiking and driving around the GSMNP for the last 7 years, while there on vacation, Iv'e been to remote waterfalls, this entire time not ONE SINGLE BEAR, thats great. I prefer not have a confrontation with one. I try to follow the simple "STAY ALIVE" rules co-hikers and friends have told me to keep them away while out on the trails. This is what I ALWAYS keep in mind when out on the trails, rivers, streams, and worlds oceans, I AM NOT THE TOP PREDATOR THERE. A simple rule to remember. Weather it be Bears on the trails and streams, or Sharks when fishing in the oceans I am in their backyard. Always be aware of your surroundings, Do NOT PROVOKE THE ANIMAL, DO NOT HAVE A MESH BAG OF CUT BAIT ATTACHED TO YOUR WASIT, and PLEASE USE SOME COMMON SENSE. It's sad when people get hurt because of an animal attack, but it's really hard to feel sorry for them when it happens due to their own stupidity.
Great fishing to all.
Mark <::><

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Closed Thread