Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-12-2008, 02:53 PM

Talking Great day on the Clinch!!!

I had two appointments today that were spread a few hours apart. Headed up to the Clinch near the church. The water was on its way down which made it the perfect time to be there. Tried to fish 3 flies at once, Orange Stimulator with a crackleback and bhpt to finish it up. I had to take my time casting otherwise it would get tangled.
I caught at least 12 browns ranging from 6-9" All fish today were caught on the bhpt. I removed the stimi after catching 12 since nothing was hitting my dryfly offerings. Fish were rising around me, but I couldn't see what they were after. Retied on the crackleback with the dropper and I hooked into a couple more browns before it happened. I thought I was snagged on a tree limb but this tree was moving. About 5 min later I had a nice brown in the net. He measured a solid 12" and he was hefty. I know he isn't huge, but he is my personal best brown trout. After he went back in the water I hooked into a couple more smaller browns and one rainbow. Then I had an absolute monster rainbow snap off my dropper. He leaped out of the water just after my fly broke off and he was at least 18" from his nose to dorsal fin. Only the trees know what I was saying after that.
Started heading out of the water when I noticed an anchor stuck in the rocks with about 8ft of rope attached. This will go nicely with my little boat. Thank you!
Overall this was a great day to sneak away to the river. I lost count of how many fish I caught, but they are all swimming free to catch again.
What a beautiful resource we have. I will post some pics a little bit later.

Last edited by Flyfishjeep; 08-13-2008 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Adding the picture
Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM

We do have a great Resource! Glad to hear you had a great day.

I've had a few good days on the Clinch lately, but they were up towards miller island.

I plan to try to get down by the church in the next couple days.

Thanks for the report. Lookin' forward to some pics!

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 PM

Excellent, thanks for the report. The quality of fish down low appears to really be improving since the slot limit was enacted.

I am hoping TVA cooperates this Friday afternoon. I am feeling a little deprived lately since I haven't been able to make it over that way.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 PM

Sounds par for the course for 61 area. TWRA absolutely loaded it to the gills with little browns this year. More then I have ever seen them stock. There are some quality fish mixed in but they are not as willing nor as numerous.

Way to early to see if the slot is working or not, and w/o enforcement it is a moot point. Also the fish have to reach the min or it matters for nothing as well. I am pessimistic at this time, and hope things get tweaked a little for next year to something that will succeed.

I wouldn't count on TVA this month, the new EPA regs have basically destroyed many fishing opps due to downstream flow requirements.