Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM

Default Learn something new every day...

I guess this is the place to put this, but I learned that brown trout and striped bass are not native to Tennessee today. The brown trout part shocked me, because I could have sworn they were, but I guess not. Cool

Also, what do you guys think of the Elk and Duck rivers? I've heard mixed things, and want to try them soon.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:21 PM

Terrible rivers the Elk and Duck are, the Elk is in the process of being destroyed by TVA generation regimes.

On the Brown Trout stuff......oh my......
Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM

Brownies aren't even American, imported from over the pond, striper are native to the USA & introduced here as well.

The Elk would be the place to be, the Duck won't pick up til late Nov/Dec.

Grumpy
Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Terrible rivers the Elk and Duck are, the Elk is in the process of being destroyed by TVA generation regimes.

On the Brown Trout stuff......oh my......
Ok Yoda Any Star Wars nerds here? *raises hand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Brownies aren't even American, imported from over the pond, striper are native to the USA & introduced here as well.

The Elk would be the place to be, the Duck won't pick up til late Nov/Dec.

Grumpy
Oh really, that's news to me. Learn more than one something new every day.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 PM

Brown trout were brought here from England and Germany. I think the brown trout is actually a Char, but I may be mistaken. We sent rainbows to Germany and England in return. Brookies are the only trout native to Tennessee, I think. I'm just not certain am I?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:31 PM

[quote=Worrgamesguy;56855]Ok Yoda Any Star Wars nerds here? *raises hand*

Yes brookies are native, but the only remaining native brookies in this immediate area are in the Tellico and Citico watersheds. The others are imports from up north.

The Browns and Rainbows, now brookies I guess, filled the void which Smallmouth and other native warmwater fish occupied prior to the damming of our river systems.

Sorry and no offense but I find it odd that a fisherman in this state and poster on a fly-fishing forum didn't know that brown trout were not native. BTW the rainbows aren't either. West Coast is where they come from.

On a side note, do some research on how all of the stocking started it is pretty fascinating how the stocked trout originally. No kidding it is, and especially the lengths at which they went to get the slimy things in this area.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:39 PM

[quote=waterwolf;56863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post

Yes brookies are native, but the only remaining native brookies in this immediate area are in the Tellico and Citico watersheds. The others are imports from up north.

The Browns and Rainbows, now brookies I guess, filled the void which Smallmouth and other native warmwater fish occupied prior to the damming of our river systems.

Sorry and no offense but I find it odd that a fisherman in this state and poster on a fly-fishing forum didn't know that brown trout were not native. BTW the rainbows aren't either. West Coast is where they come from.

On a side note, do some research on how all of the stocking started it is pretty fascinating how the stocked trout originally. No kidding it is, and especially the lengths at which they went to get the slimy things in this area.

It's understandable someone wouldn't know some of that information. I'm sure that when most people pick up a fly rod for the first time are unaware of the origins of the fish they're after. Gotta learn somewhere and I couldn't think of a better place to learn than from a fly fishing forum.

BTW....I'm pretty certain that browns are in the trout family (salmonious or whatever the scientific name is). Brook trout are of the char family and not true trout. I also believe that there are native brookies in east tn. other than in the tellico and citigo watersheds. I'm willing to bet that the northeast tennessee mountain hold a few of these wild/native specs as well as a few streams in the smokies though the smokies may have been hit harder than mountains around unicoi with logging operations.

I'm no expert, this is just information I've read or heard from other people, I'm just spreading gossip on a casual gossip forum.

Ben
Old 08-18-2008, 10:48 PM

Citico, not citigo, the latter sounds like a gas station

In all seriousness,

I never said that a "Brook Trout is a true trout". Those are words which you are trying to put into my mouth. Salmonid is the name of the brown trout family, and more specifically salmo trutta. I am no fisheries biologist and never claimed to be, the genetics of most trout in our rivers are so twisted it is like an Appalachin family tree.

To the best of my knowledge the only true remaining Southern App. brook trout in East TN reside in Tellico and Citico Tribs. When Ian and I fished for them all the time I am pretty dang sure that nowhere else in this state do they exist in their pure form.

I am also fairly sure that most of NE TN is void of any Brook Trout exclusive waters. Everything has been tainted by non-native exotics.

The waters in the park were decimated by much of the logging and the original strains were lost and restocked with Northern Strains. At least this is what Steve Moore with the GSMNPS told me while doing Acid Deposition stuff 15 years ago. Different info may have been found since then, however.

If someone is new to trout fishing it is completely understandable that they would not know these things. Heck there are people on the Clinch who have fished it for 30 years who think those fish are native. Also native and wild are confused all the time.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Brown trout were brought here from England and Germany. I think the brown trout is actually a Char, but I may be mistaken. We sent rainbows to Germany and England in return. Brookies are the only trout native to Tennessee, I think. I'm just not certain am I?
Brookies are char, browns are actually trout. I know that much.

[quote=waterwolf;56863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post

I've been trout fishing since I was two, so that makes me a trout fisherman of 16 years and I didn't know half of the stuff I know know because of this forum. You guys are awesome

[quote=milligan trout degree;56864]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post

It's understandable someone wouldn't know some of that information. I'm sure that when most people pick up a fly rod for the first time are unaware of the origins of the fish they're after. Gotta learn somewhere and I couldn't think of a better place to learn than from a fly fishing forum.

BTW....I'm pretty certain that browns are in the trout family (salmonious or whatever the scientific name is). Brook trout are of the char family and not true trout. I also believe that there are native brookies in east tn. other than in the tellico and citigo watersheds. I'm willing to bet that the northeast tennessee mountain hold a few of these wild/native specs as well as a few streams in the smokies though the smokies may have been hit harder than mountains around unicoi with logging operations.

I'm no expert, this is just information I've read or heard from other people, I'm just spreading gossip on a casual gossip forum.

Ben
Yeah, I started fly fishing about 2 months ago and have only caught 3 trout that I was able to get to hand. I had dozens of hook-sets and much more misses, enough to make me sick when thinking of it. Trout are beautiful, I've caught some pretty browns, that I thought were native until today. Kinda makes me sad, but I'm glad I know now that way I don't get laughed at when I talk about fishing.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 AM

No one will laugh at you, but they might be quick to correct you depending on the audience.