Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-24-2008, 04:29 PM

Well guys, we had an extra man in the boat so I couldn't fly fish. We did catch over 20 trout apiece, and kept 5 mortally wounded fish. Today I had my license checked for the first time in my 16 years of trout fishing, and I didn't have it with me! But they have this nifty contraption called a cell phone, so they asked me for my SSN and called it in to verify that I had one *whew*
Old 08-24-2008, 05:40 PM

Sounds good.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Floated the Caney today and got checked by TWRA, but not for licenses! They were only interested in seeing whether or not we had enough life jackets! By the way, the Caney fished it's usual fantastic self today...

Gerry
Old 08-25-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Romer View Post
Floated the Caney today and got checked by TWRA, but not for licenses! They were only interested in seeing whether or not we had enough life jackets! By the way, the Caney fished it's usual fantastic self today...

Gerry
I think you might have been the guys that were following us. We had two guys in a boat fly fishign behind us almost the entire way. You?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 PM

Default worrgamesguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
I think you might have been the guys that were following us. We had two guys in a boat fly fishign behind us almost the entire way. You?
See the thread I just posted on the Caney, I've posted picture of everyone in the boat!

~Brett
Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermansfly View Post
See the thread I just posted on the Caney, I've posted picture of everyone in the boat!

~Brett
So Gerry was with you? I couldn't see that far
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
So Gerry was with you? I couldn't see that far
You'd have had to have supreme vision if you were floating from HH to Betty's Island...

We floated from the dam to HH.

A couple things Brett forgot to mention in his report

The really big fish were all caught on white streamers (including one delusional but fat and sassy brookie). The 10" to 16" fish were all caught on #14 pheasant tails.

Doug and I both tried grey thread midges and a few other secret weapons but couldn't buy a sniff.

I mean, pheasant tails on the Caney??

I just heard from billyspey. He floated the Caney today and absolutely killed them!! He said they were pulling in 20"+ fish all on pheasant tails !!

I mean... The Caney?? Pheasant Tails??

What's that all about??

Gerry

Last edited by Gerry Romer; 08-25-2008 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: smiley didn't work... what's that all about???
Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 PM

Default Pt

Gerry, I heard the same news about pheasent tails, even big sizes, on the Caney. Isn't the Caney a 'mayfly free zone'. PT's can also imitate caddis, jumbo scud? I've caught a few fish, mainly brookies on an orange tail bugger. It doesn't resemble trout chow either. What goes on underneath is always a bewilderment to me. Monk
Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 PM

I'm sorry I feel like a complete moron now! I missed the HH to Betty's Island part....My life is always such a rush anymore! When used to log on here I had time to run through every post! Now I'm lucky enough to read through the main forum page! Sorry Worrgamesguy!

Monk, I would love some inside knowledge on why they are eating a mayfly immitation so well? It just really doesnt make anysense to me how the fish get as big as they do! Doug said yesterday that the next state record Brookie will come from the Caney! It's hard not to believe if they do well this year, and I can't see them not doing well! They were to fat, fiesty, and pretty not to thrive! What are these fish eating It just can't be midges? There also has to be a good scud/sowbug population with all the grass....I've been there twice and haven't thrown the first immitation! There is always a next time...And there will be plenty more time to figure that water out when I return from Yellowstone! I plan on making that my tailwater of choice!

~Brett
Old 08-26-2008, 07:41 AM

There are sporadic mayfly hatches on the Caney along with Craneflies, scuds out the yazoo, some stones & caddis, then there is the midges & blackflies & some stuff i'm not even sure what they are
Whoever heard of using a PT on the Caney btw, we wore them out on a grey midge Sunday.

Grumpy