Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fishing Classic Rods and Gear

Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 PM

Default South Bend Bamboo

Well after 4 attemps I finally won a bamboo rod on ebay.

It's a southbend and it's in excellent condition. Nothing missing and everything is solid. its a model 359 8 1/2 ft. 3 piece.

My husband put his old 1951 Perrine automatic reel on it just for a pic of it.

This rod feels so good in my hands. I'm going to take it this weekend and try it. I think I'm going to really like it.

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:11 PM

wes jordan worked for south bend before joining orvis he made very good and desireable bamboo go on the bamboo site check on what you might have.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 PM

Thank you, I will check that out.

I also just ordered a new Orvis reel for it. This weekend will be nice and sunny and a new rod to try out...could'nt ask for anything better than that!

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:22 PM

That looks like a Jordan era rod with the brown reelseat & thumb print on the grip. CONGRATS

Grumpy
Old 02-01-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That looks like a Jordan era rod with the brown reelseat & thumb print on the grip. CONGRATS

Grumpy
I did some reading on the Jordon era rods. If this is one of them then it was made some where between 1925 and 1939? Correct? Now I'm almost afraid to take it out and use it! I'd hate to have something happen to it. It's too special!

It looks plenty solid and durable though. The temptation may be too much.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:54 PM

It was built to fish

Grumpy
Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Here's a little more info on South Bend andWes Jordan.

The following is from the Orvis website:
In the 1930s, South Bend Bait Company bought out Cross Rod Company with the condition that Wes would remain at least long enough to train new rod makers. After ten years at South Bend, Wes left for his hometown of Lynn, Massachusetts.

The model 359 is described as dry fly action for D or HDH line (probably 6 wt). Your rod has the "Comficient" grip which was introduced in 1939. If the South Bend decal is a yellow rectangle, the rod is post WWII. My best guess is that the pictured rod was made in the mid to late 1940's.

Enjoy the rod!

gf2
Old 02-07-2008, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the info on the rod, gf2! It's nice to have a little background on it. And welcome! You'll love this forum. Great folks and great info.

Grumpy, I managed a couple of hours Sunday to go fishing and tried it out. It handled very well despite using a cheap reel and line. I know it will be even better when my new orvis reel and line gets here. It was more limber than my graphite rod and it took a few minutes of casting to get used to but I think it will likely become my "goto" rod for awhile. It feels better in my hand than my other rods. I have small hands and this one just seems to be a natural fit for me. This old rod seems to have character I guess you could say.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:23 PM

your 359 was built in 1950.wes jordan's designs lasted till the late 30's-
Old 02-12-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauxier View Post
your 359 was built in 1950.wes jordan's designs lasted till the late 30's-
Thanks for the info, lauxier.