Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-23-2008, 05:43 PM

Default Clinch Report 8/23

After my last visit to the Clinch following a big rain and muddy conditions, I got to go back this AM, and enjoyed low conditions, and clear water.

Right at 30 fish touched: 1 brown, and the rest bows and brookies. Biggest bow 17", biggest brook right at 13". Most of the bows were in the slot. No hatches early this AM, except there were working fish when we got in at 8A. First cast with a #8 Olive buggerpoon (idea stolen from a tarpon fly, cross between a clauser/bugger/and tarpon fly) got a brookie, and the next 14-15 fish. It slowed down some and then a micro caddis hatch came off around 12-1 and fired them up so that I could get another 14-15 fish on a couple of midge/caddis larvae patterns. Best fish on the buggerpoon(sorry, best name I can think of), and an intermediate sink tip line, 5x flouro, and Lefty's non-slip loop knot.
http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkknots/index1.html

Baro. pressure...rising then steady by mid morning
Moonset 1321
Farmer's Almanac fishing guide - good
Water temp..too cold for my arthritic toes!

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 08-24-2008 at 08:15 AM..
Old 08-23-2008, 06:14 PM

Default where ?

flat fly... i am not familiar with the clinch at all but would like to give it a try....where would i go to wade fish.... what dam tailwater is it...and is it like fishing the caney midges and softhackles ... i am in crossville how long to get there from here.. thaxs for any help dan
Old 08-23-2008, 07:00 PM

The Clinch river is a tailwater from Norris Lake. It is located in and around Clinton which is up Hwy 75 to Exit 122. The two more popular areas to fish are Millers Island and the Jail.
The Jail is west of exit 122. After you cross over the river take your first right and park in the far back parking lot behind the church.

Millers Island: Go right after exiting exit 122 coming from Knoxville and take your first left after the heritage center. Then take a left on river rd and the landing will be your first right.

I havn't been there yet, but I here there is good fishing closer to the dam.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:09 PM

Default TWRA Map

Hello,

I have pasted a link below for a TWRA pdf map of the Clinch River fishery.

Good luck,

Neal

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/trou...nch_River).pdf
Old 08-23-2008, 08:14 PM

Dang PB you need to stop throwing that streamer junk you know it doesn't work. Glad you had a good day, and I was wasting time elsewhere and will hit the Big C in the morning. I hear Parker's Pupa is a dandy.

Oh and thanks for posting my pic over yonder.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:17 PM

how fast does the water drop down to wade.... can i fish when its generating.... thaxs again in advance
Old 08-23-2008, 10:35 PM

Just a personal suggestion and that would be to stay the heck out of there when the water is running.

Water will rise:

Weir: 30 mins
Miller's Island: 45 mins
Peach Orchard: 2 hours
Jail: 4.5 hours

Fall Out depends on how much but generally 8 hours is how long it takes the water to drop out enough to wade at the jail. Up higher it is just a couple of hours generally.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:54 PM

Fishingman -- scroll down to the tables on this link:

http://www.crctu.com/Drain_Down/clinch_drain.htm

Phil
Old 08-24-2008, 12:07 AM

Waterwolf,
You remember well. It worked great today when the microcaddis came off. If we ever get to fish together again I will have to show you the "ghetto midge".

PS. Rob Parker was in Colorado last week fishing. Drove 23 hours straight with 3 other guys. Slept out under the stars, drove with flyrods under the the windshield wipers and across the windshield. Trout bums for the week.

Fishingman62,
The Clinch is fairly easy access. Both accesses given by Miller's Island,and the Church (sounds much better than the jail) plus it kinda goes along with the old hymns......"shall we gather by the river, the beautiful......."

Up below the dam is safe and holds good fish. Just be mindful of the generators and NO fish is worth your life. Take a watch or set your alarm on your cell phone and get out when the time comes. Great advice from Water Wolf on times. There is also a trail there for about a mile from the dam to the weir.

The river is coming back with bigger fish thanks to TWRA and slots, just as the Caney has been helped. Have you fished it? I would say it's closer to you than the Clinch. BTW, midges/ and crustaseans (sowbugs/scuds) are the ticket for the most part until the spring. Occational microcaddis come off but these can be matched with typical SMALL caddis stuff.

Good Luck.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 PM

Default thaxs

thank you guys for all the info ...i saved the time table thank you....yes i fish the caney almost once a week... i generally post each time i go...i will post todays report later or at lunch time on monday... the caney is about 50mins for me... but would like to try the clinch before it gets to cold no waders at present time i wet wade ...again thaxs for your info and help ..