Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-24-2008, 09:59 PM

Question Vero Beach, FL?

Has anyone been to this area to fish?
We are heading down Oct. 19th thru 26th.- I know the reds are in along with some SNOOK and the flounder are running up.

I will only be fishing from the surf. Any recomendations on flies and presentation?

Thanks in advance,
Old 08-25-2008, 04:22 PM

Never fished the surf there but if I were to try I would head to Sebastian Inlet State Park (North end of Indian River County) and fish the beach on the south side. The near shore is rocky and drops off (not suitable for swimming) and at one time had worm reefs nearshore. The inlet has rock jetties on both the north and south sides and is crossed by a bridge. The north side is used heavily by surfers and swimmers. Most of Indian River County beachfront has been developed but public access points are available.

The usual clouser flies for salt water should work and you would need to get down so a sinking tip would be in order.

The Indian River Lagoon (IRL) side of the park can place you on the inside of the inlet. Be careful wading, the inlet can be very swift. The inlet also has walkways on both sides and is usually loaded with baitcasters and spinning reel fisherman. The IRL has many excellent places to fish but best accessed by boat (kayak or motor). You might check out Pelican Island Wildlife Refuge which is on the Barrier Island side just north of SR 510 (Wabasso Causeway) which is south of Sebastian Inlet.

If you want to wade fish the lagoon there are some access points. Floating lines and clousers will suffice in the IRL. Let me know. I wouldn't mind joining you except I'll be in TN. It is interesting how many times we all cross each others paths going to fish the other guys neighborhood.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the help!
We are more than likely just staying near the resort since the two boys are so little. Hopefully I can get away one of the mornings to explore before they are up. We don't have an oven or grill at the condo, but I wonder if the resort cook wouldn't mind fixin up a fresh catch.....?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:54 PM

I understand since I did the same when my two daughters were young (now they have given me grandchildren). We go to the Gulf coast a few times a year. My 6 year old grandson travels with us frequently and I devote a lot of time with him. However, I will slip out before sun up and stroll the beach looking for a likely spot to make a cast. A few times my wife has followed me about an hour later and brought me a cup of coffee. We enjoyed the early morning sunlit sky and the water. This year my grandson will slip out with me.

Depending on where you are staying there are a few rock formations that get exposed at low tide along the Indian River County beach front. Those may be productive.

I am sure you will have a good time and your family will be blessed.

If you think of anything later post a reply.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Quite a lot of time has passed since this question asked but I'll put in a plug for Vero. Forget the Surf! For fly fishing, focus on the Indian River. Rent a guide if you have the $$$ but to be economical, Rent a Kayak and get in the water at one of many public parks on the barrier island. There's access close (just west there is a causeway to the mainland) to the disney resort and there are several other public parks along A1A , down to Round Island Park (close to the southern Indian River County line on A1A). The River is not very deep. I think I read once the average depth is 2 to 3 feet.
I usually fish 50-60 feet off the shores and cast towards the "bushes"/mangroves & under docks. Also, many islands in the river! Fish around them too! Snook, Redfish, Ladyfish etc.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM

Thanks Bluecorners! We ended up going to a different spot, but I am going to put your recommendation on file. I can't wait to get back to the salt water!