Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-24-2008, 10:37 PM

Default Clinch Report 8/24

Fished upstream from the jail from around 8:30 until Noon or so. Another great day on the Clinch. I have no clue how many fish I brought to hand, enough that it was pretty much constant. I landed a gorgeous 21" brown and 2 18" rainbows with a smattering of fish inside the slot and loads of rat browns.

The river is fishing very very well right now, and it seems to be returning somewhat to the way it was many moons ago. All of my old haunts were loaded with fish which were stupidly eager to eat.

I fished a #18 old school midge/black fly pupa under a wisp of yarn. The somewhat interesting thing is that I forgot my 6X in my pack, and all I had in my pocket was a spool of 5X and it worked great which demonstrated to me the eagerness of the fish on that section of river. Another great day on the Clinch and I keep waiting for it to sneak up and bite me this year, but it has yet to be the evil witch it can be at times.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:45 PM

Wolf -- thanks for the report. You did have a great day, dude! You said "old school" midge -- do you mean the kind tied with Coats & Clark sewing thread? You care to 'splain?

Phil
Old 08-24-2008, 10:52 PM

Default GPS coordinates!!

Nice day!

Up in the "shark tank" area?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
Wolf -- thanks for the report. You did have a great day, dude! You said "old school" midge -- do you mean the kind tied with Coats & Clark sewing thread? You care to 'splain?

Phil
The kind that I fished back in the early 90's with no bead. Stripped quill and black thread. Deadly to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
Nice day!

Up in the "shark tank" area?
I fished from around the bottom of the island up towards River bend. The biggest fish was right in front of the church. He was a shocker to a degree, but with as many "bait" sized stockers are down there it should be too much of a surprise there are some decent fish sneaking around down there. The dinks are overwhelming to the point of misery however in many places on the lower river.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 PM

What method do you like to use on stripping the quills? Eraser,thumbnail, or bleach? I like eraser for ease, but sometimes if I'm real lazy, I'll substitute moose mane but sort of doesn't have that great contrast that quill can give..
Old 08-25-2008, 07:00 PM

Always use my finger nail. Eraser makes the quill brittle, bleach makes it brittle, wax make a huge mess. Also not all quills are created equal once stripped. Look for ones with a prominent white strip on one side to give the fly more segmentation.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM

Default midge work

Waterwolf, That sounds like a pattern that was popular on the South Holston 15 years ago and probably still is. Stripped quill abdomen, thread head, & a tuft of cdc. Very realistic. Enjoy your information and knowledge. I hope to go to the Clinch on Friday if generation is favorable. Monk
Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 PM

Same fly and invented by a legendary Clinch/South Holston guru known as Ron Wayley. Ron was also the first person I ever knew or heard of that was weaving scud patterns out of liqua lace back in the late 80's and early 90's.

Those that knew him can attest to the mans generosity and willingness to help out. I remember when I was just a pup, and I mean a pup, him showing me how to stop swinging flies downstream and use a indicator (even though indicators weren't around then) to cast upstream or up and across stream to get the appropriate presentation. My catch rates went up ten fold from that day forward, I have tried in the last few years to pass on this to others on the river but met stiff opposition and sometimes rude demeanors when offering advice. It seems swingers love to swing no matter the outcome.

Ron loved to tell stories of me and watching me progress to where I am now, and loved to laugh at how I used to sacrifice my body to fish above the weir even though I was only 4'6" tall at 12 years old. Over the top was a concept that did not exist in my mind, just getting out to that next rock was all that was important. He also loved the story of my first afternoon with Chewing Tobacco at Lewallen Island during a monster sulfur hatch in the early 90's.

Great memories, and he will always be missed and always be legend for some of us who had the pleasure of fishing around and with him.