Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-25-2008, 01:42 AM

Default Couldn't box the waders up yet! Caney Fork 08-24-08

On a whims notice we decided to float the Caney Fork today. Seeing as I'm headed out west for 9 whole days I just couldn't bring myself to box the waders up for shipping two weeks early! My father, Doug Moore and myself all toted off to the Caney. We started off early floating from the dam to Happy Hollow at around 9:30am with the generators cutting at 10am.

Lemme tell you, when there pumping full steem, they are pushing some water! A sick amount of water...Not only were they pumping water they were sluicing as well to the tune of around 5300cfs (I think). At any rate the boat launch looked like a canoe/yak parking lot and everyone was looking at us and this funny looking boat! We quickly launched and I managed to snap a picture of the realease as it was teetering off....thats about a 15' wall of water coming out! The wake was rising into the gunwhales of the boat!

Flows from the dam.

Just as the dam was almost out of sight they cut the water off and the current slowed slightly. Dad hooked into the first fish of the day in the first 15 minutes of our float! It put gigantic smiles on everyones faces as he had a FAT 16'' brown tug tightly on his line!................Just about the time I started looking for my net! Oh crap, well so much for that....I forgot the silly thing at the house! You know that makes for a good day! Leave the net at home!

Here's a shot of that beaut of a fish!

I believe I manned the oars till the halfway point of the float and Doug hadn't managed anything off the back of the boat and wanted a break...So a break I gave him. I had probably been casting for around 30 minutes and stuck a pig of a male brownie. He put a nice bend in a 7wt Helios, and upon bringing him boatside he measured in at 20"! Beautiful colorations almost in full spawn colors!

Bending that 7wt Helios!

He's forming what will one day be a nice ugly kipe!

This is for your Doug, I cropped you out of my fish picture just like you said I would! Gosh, a trout makes anybody look good! HA HA!

I relinquished the rod at this point hoping Doug would get the S word (no I'm not referring to the 4 letter version I'm referring to the 5 letter word that ends in K and stinks when you hit one with a car!) Your welcome Doug! If you all haven't already figured it out we left with him getting the S word!

We floated over some really nice fish all day! Several really large browns, and bows! Dad managed to pick up some more nice fish throughout the day, all fat and ranging around the 10 to 14" mark. Including one beautifully colored stocked tailwater brookie...These guys were amazing...Everyone brought to the boat was gorgeous!

Here's some of that coloration!

That fish landed dad his Caney Fork Slam! Here's his bow!

Doug got tired of ripping streamers and handed the rod back to me and I finished my slam about an hour before we took out! Landing a bow, and believe it or not, a brookie on a streamer the same size as him!

Here's one of my last fish for the day.

So all in all, we had a darn good day! We got off the river around 7ish and packed it back in to Knoxville! I immediately went and dropped the boat off then rushed to get all my gear together to ship out!

We leave for Yellowstone in less than 10 days guys! I'm sure we will have some excellent reports then! We are going to be fishing the Yellowstone for 5 days and then switching to the Big Horn River in Montana (floating it) for our last three days there! My heart races faster and faster the more I think about it! I've been day dreaming about it for weeks!

Until then guys!

~Brett
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 AM

Ya'll wore me out throwing that big stuff & i was just watching we were in the GIII with the jet on it, it was a fine day.
I saw a boat like yours up there Friday as well.

Grumpy
Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 AM

Default Grumpy!

Did we talk with you yesterday? I think we said hello to eachother! Hopefully we'll get to know eachother soon enough...When I return from out west I will be floating that river quite often!

Question for you. What in that river would be about 5 to 6 ft long and approximately 15" in width, rather skinny for a 5 ft fish? It wasn't a stripe!? I don't think it was a gar! I freaked out when I saw it! Doug said Gar, but he didn't see it!

There are some mighty big fish in that river Grumpy! I personally can't wait on the kill! It's gonna be A-W-E-S-O-M-E! I still wanna float past Happy Hollow and see what the rest of it's like!

~Brett
Old 08-25-2008, 01:26 PM

Brett...
Those are some nice fish! They're all colored up nicely especially your last bow! Hope you have a great trip to Yellowstone. Lots of pictures please!

Rachel
Old 08-25-2008, 03:55 PM

Default Rachel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALflygirl View Post
Brett...
Those are some nice fish! They're all colored up nicely especially your last bow! Hope you have a great trip to Yellowstone. Lots of pictures please!

Rachel
Well, I can garuntee you one thing...There will be pictures taken...We've got 2 laptops going with a total of probably 8 cameras we will be using to film and take pictures. Should be some pretty good stuff coming for a while after I return. We shall just have to wait and see.

Anywho, you never did shoot me an email on that midge? Just curious if it managed any fish? I'd like to assume that your keeping the secret too, and not posting anything! lol! As for that rainbow, we saw some absolutely beautiful fish all day long! It was a good day! Everyone was catching thier share! It's a great tailwater!

Thanks,
~Brett
Old 08-25-2008, 06:15 PM

Default Caney

Brett, Nice posts and photos. Beautiful fish. The Caney has been kind to many of us this summer. Ya'll lumped up a big bowl of sweetness. Should be a great time for Yellowstone also. Pebble Creek was my favorite stream when I was last there. Heard it got washed out hard a few years ago. Hope it has come back. Look forward to your story from the land of steam.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:53 PM

Hey Brett...
The day we were supposed to use your midge on the Elk, we didn't end up going. My husband did tie a bunch of them up so maybe we will get up there soon. Thanks for the "recipe"!!

Rachel
Old 08-25-2008, 09:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermansfly View Post
Everyone was catching thier share! It's a great tailwater!

Thanks,
~Brett
So lemme get this straight... Doug's share is always zero?!

It was, indeed, a good day on a great tailwater... thanks again!

Dad
Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 PM

Do you guys use felt soles? What was your decontamination approach for the didymo?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I'm probably a bit crazier than most. I always stop at a car wash after a fishing trip to a didymo stream. If I've been wearing my Korkers, I hang the soles up in the clamps provided for car mats and hit them with the pressure washer, then let them dry for a few days in the sun (the sunlight drying is all that's really necessary, but I feel that the pressure washer really gets them 'down deep' clean ). If I've been wearing my Chota's, I just lay them on the floor of the wash bay and hit them with the pressure washer set on "rinse". I asked Frank from Chota if this was potentially harmful and he said absolutely not. I also drape my waders over the car and hit them with the spray. Haven't noticed any adverse effects from this in over two years.

Last edited by Gerry Romer; 08-25-2008 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: clarity