Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing Around the World

Old 11-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Default Ireland!

I had the pleasure of going fishing in Ireland. Staying at a B&B that runs the local fishing waters, and boasts a full service fly shop. The nice thing about the water is they regulate the anglers based on permits you buy to fish, so they don't put to many anglers on one strech. The place is called Clonanav, run by Andrew Ryan, who guides and has been in magazines here in the States. There are 3 rivers that converge in the general area, the Nire, Tar, and Suir. You can chase salmon as well but I chose to go after some of their husky browns, and I found plenty. It was fabulous, the fishing, food, and of course Guinness! If you ever get a chance to visit this wonderful country, pack your gear, you will be glad you did.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:13 PM

Glad you had a great time. What did you think of those Irish breakfasts? How about that soda bread? Don't know if you did it, but the Guinness tour in Dublin is fantastic.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Thumbs up

I was at Clonanav, and fished with Andrew, in May of 2004, and it's a great experience. The fishing was actually on the slow side when we were there - Andrew said we were just a tad early for the spring hatches - but you can't beat fishing for native browns in water where they've been swimming since before humans were on the scene. What a beautiful place, and we had perfect weather.

As for the breakfasts, I don't remember any soda bread, but one bite of "black pudding" was more than enough for me.

-Milton
Old 11-09-2008, 08:00 PM

Blood pudding. No wonder they drink so much Guinness and whiskey. It takes both of those to get the taste out of your mouth.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:09 AM

Carolina Boy,

Do you have any pics that you can post? I would love to see what those waters look like. That would be a dream trip for me.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Pics of ireland

I do have some pictures. I will try and figure out how to get em on here? Any advice on that would be great, I am a better fisherman than computer guy! I will say that I fished almost exclusively on the Nire, which is a trib of the Suir, It is smaller, bout the size of the luffte, or little river in its mid sections. It was cool becasue it rolls through extremely lush farmlands, I actually got the heck scared out of me by a cow that I came face-to-face with after falling over a fence! I got lucky the water was dropping but still stained from a ton of rain in the region and the trout had to feed. I wore my arm out on one hole I found, I can't tell you how many monster brownies i landed. For me being a Murphy, to catch native brownies that big in Ireland WOW.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum
Default Read this ...

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=8456