Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 AM

Default suggestions near Hot Springs

I will be heading over towards Hot Springs in a couple of weeks and was looking for suggestions on some good water over there. We will be staying off roaring fork rd which is a little south of the town. The NC Gazetteer lists a coulpe of trout streams close by (don't remember names) & I was wondering if they were worthwhile. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Roaring Fork and Spring Creek are both hatchery supported. Not a lot of public area to fish. Roaring fork has some wild fish on the road you are staying on.
Might go farther up the road above Max Patch Mountain. Cross over into Tennessee and fish Big Trail Fork Creek. Maybe Hugh Hartsell will chime in on this creek.
Another option is smallie fishing on FBR in Hot Springs.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:35 PM

Default Hot Springs

Fellas, I hesitated to reply as to where to fish at the moment, because of the low water conditions in the area. If there was enough water, Trail Fork would be the stream to fish. You might take a look at Upper Shut In Creek to see if there is any water flowing. You can access Trail Fork by driving from Hot Springs to Max Patch and then going back into Tenn. to the RattleSnake Branch section of Boomer Den. Be very careful if you make this trip. This is not for the faint of heart.
Hugh
If all of these options don't work out, just drive across the French Broad River, turn back to the left and drive downriver. There are lots of places to wade for Smallmouth.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the replies. I fished the Bald river in CNF this past weekend and the water levels were pretty good after the rain we had last week. I would say that unless we get some more rain soon the water levels will be back down. Now the question of the day. I had thought about fishing the French Broad for Smallies as Hugh suggested, but there is only one problem. I have caught a couple of them fishing the lower parts of the Little River but it was completely accidental. What flies/patterns/techniques are most effective for Smallies? Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 PM

Budman,
This is pretty good sized water through that area and to fish it well, you would need a 7-8wt. and a sinking line. If you have lighter gear than this, I would suggest using a spinning outfit. Hellgramites, and minnow patterns are great and I wouldn't be above using the real thing. Fish across and down using a splitshot or two to slow the bait down and either strip jerk it or slight twitches up and allowing the bait to fall back close to the bottom. If you use the Hellgramite pattern or the real thing, just let it roll dead drift through the shoals and riffles into deeper water. If that doesn't get attention, put some movement to it.
Hugh
Old 09-03-2008, 04:48 AM

Hugh, I may have to give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.