Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Default Caney Fork 8/30/08

I guess I'll go ahead and make the post, but Gerry Romer (Gerry) and Plateau Angler (David) were kind enough to invite me on a trip up to the Caney on Sunday. The plan was to meet up at the abandoned Mini mart off I-40 and travel to Kirby Road. Gerry was late, so David and I traveled up to Happy Hollow to warm up for the day. David told me what to tie on, how to improve my cast, and where to cast my line. While I was working on that, he immediately started catching brookies. He got tired of that, and started up river in search of a nice brown. I stayed in that one spot and kept missing fish like crazy.

About 30 minutes later Gerry showed up and we headed down to Kirby Road. The water was cold and pretty deep there (especially for me wet wading past my waist), and we fished there until the generation started to make the water rise. David caught two fish there, and Gerry and I got skunked (I think). We went up to Lancaster after that because the water had fallen out already. Gerry let me borrow an extra pair of waders and boots, and that made a world of difference in comfort. We all caught a few up there, and after the fishing slowed down we went back to Happy Hollow to finish out the day.

David was doing his usual search for a monster brown, and you all have seen his pictures of nice fish that he has caught. What he doesn't tell you is how many fish he catches total. Gerry and I watched him catch fish on nearly every cast. He was actually getting tired of catching small fish, fish that I would have happily asked to take my fly. He definitely is a fly fishing machine though. We all did much better at HH in the late afternoon as the sun was setting, David actually put me on to a lot of fish. He told me where to cast and that cast actually brought in a fish, and many more after. He helped me finish my Caney Fork Grand Slam, he already finished his, and Gerry technically didn't get his Slam but it was close enough to call it a slam- he never got a brown to hand but in two casts he had two browns on the line that he never touched, but got in very close.

So, Sunday was a blast thanks to these two gentlemen. Since summer is technically not over, they just made my summer. I'm hoping to be back fishing with these guys in October, I can't thank them enough.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 PM

Whew that was close, i thought i was going to have to do that fine fisherman there, it's amazing watching someone that's figured it out & obsevation is a powerful tool.

Grumpy
Old 09-03-2008, 12:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Whew that was close, i thought i was going to have to do that fine fisherman there, it's amazing watching someone that's figured it out & obsevation is a powerful tool.

Grumpy
You're not out of the woods yet!

I really hope Trey keeps that class with you. His cast is basically there for you to refine. And I have a feeling that if you put that TFO Pro in his hands again, you'll have an even easier job... even though you'll have to pry it out of his hands!

All in all, we did have a pretty good day on Sunday. I may have had worse days on the Caney, but I've definitely had better. I'm beginning to think that the flotillas of canoes and kayaks have really put the fish down. This was, far and away the busiest day I've ever seen on the Caney! It's beginning to look a lot like Townsend on Memorial Day. (Maybe we need to devise some sort of Caney Tuber Alert signal ) I know it was Labor Day Weekend, but still! We went from Happy Hollow down to Kirby Ln. early Sunday morning and were greeted by an armada of canoes and yaks that had to have put in at Betty's Island. then, as WGG said, we hopped around all day long -- going upriver, then down river, then further down river -- and at each stop we were overrun by canoes and yaks. We did see the occasional Hyde and Clack, but for the most part it was teens and pre-teens having water fights the whole way down the river in rental canoes.

It also took most of the day to figure out what would work consistently since the fish seemed to be really picky. Started out throwing pheasant tails with no takers, switched to zebras in black and silver - also with no luck. Switched again to grey thread midges and when that didn't work I tried a copper bead olive thread midge. That seemed to be what they were looking for. I had been dropping my midge off a thingamabobber and switched that for a #16 yellow hot butt caddis as an indicator. Started catching rainbows on the indicator and browns and brooks on the dropper. Go figure!

Well, at least Trey got to see firsthand that there's never just one solution to be found. And I have to agree, it's just plain fun to watch David catch fish . We did catch some nice fish...too bad I left my camera in the car... And I'm glad we were able to help WGG in enabling his growing addiction to this sport!

Good day, indeed! Can't wait to go again

Gerry

Last edited by Gerry Romer; 09-03-2008 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 09-03-2008, 07:54 AM

Once again, Trey was in good hands with you two, he's got it bad & that's a good thing, tickles me to death to see youngn's focusd on fishing instead of the other things in life offered today.
It's just like a jigsaw puzzle, some are easy, other's are complicated, you put the pieces together one at a time & there are times when that one piece always seems to elude us, which makes us try even harder.
Then you just look around & wonder who cares, it sure beats yard work

Grumpy
Old 09-03-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Grumpy
I'm no pro by far, but I'll take every ounce of help you guys are willing to put out. There were two ladies out there fishing, it was a little disheartening to watch their tight loops rolling gently onto the water, but I can't complain since I've only been interested for a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Romer View Post
You're not out of the woods yet!

I really hope Trey keeps that class with you. His cast is basically there for you to refine. And I have a feeling that if you put that TFO Pro in his hands again, you'll have an even easier job... even though you'll have to pry it out of his hands!

All in all, we did have a pretty good day on Sunday. I may have had worse days on the Caney, but I've definitely had better. I'm beginning to think that the flotillas of canoes and kayaks have really put the fish down. This was, far and away the busiest day I've ever seen on the Caney! It's beginning to look a lot like Townsend on Memorial Day. (Maybe we need to devise some sort of Caney Tuber Alert signal ) I know it was Labor Day Weekend, but still! We went from Happy Hollow down to Kirby Ln. early Sunday morning and were greeted by an armada of canoes and yaks that had to have put in at Betty's Island. then, as WGG said, we hopped around all day long -- going upriver, then down river, then further down river -- and at each stop we were overrun by canoes and yaks. We did see the occasional Hyde and Clack, but for the most part it was teens and pre-teens having water fights the whole way down the river in rental canoes.

It also took most of the day to figure out what would work consistently since the fish seemed to be really picky. Started out throwing pheasant tails with no takers, switched to zebras in black and silver - also with no luck. Switched again to grey thread midges and when that didn't work I tried a copper bead olive thread midge. That seemed to be what they were looking for. I had been dropping my midge off a thingamabobber and switched that for a #16 yellow hot butt caddis as an indicator. Started catching rainbows on the indicator and browns and brooks on the dropper. Go figure!

Well, at least Trey got to see firsthand that there's never just one solution to be found. And I have to agree, it's just plain fun to watch David catch fish . We did catch some nice fish...too bad I left my camera in the car... And I'm glad we were able to help WGG in enabling his growing addiction to this sport!

Good day, indeed! Can't wait to go again

Gerry
Haha thanks Gerry... You're awesome, thanks for everything. I'm gonna try to go out this weekend, I know for sure I'll be floating it with my dad next Sunday, and then Ron's casting class is the weekend after that. If he let me use that TFO Pro series he wouldn't see it again I like my rod a little more, but I'm almost ready to buy the TFO Pro. I want to buy a complete setup- rod, reel, and GOOD line. My $20 Dick's line wasn't cutting it.

Quote:
Once again, Trey was in good hands with you two, he's got it bad & that's a good thing, tickles me to death to see youngn's focusd on fishing instead of the other things in life offered today.
It's just like a jigsaw puzzle, some are easy, other's are complicated, you put the pieces together one at a time & there are times when that one piece always seems to elude us, which makes us try even harder.
Then you just look around & wonder who cares, it sure beats yard work

Grumpy
Well, as I told you I love it so much I would be the happiest man if I could make a living off of it. But the careers I'm looking into pay well and have a good bit of down time so I can afford to go fish frequently. Nothing matters when I'm on the stream, it's all for fun and all my other problems outside the river disappear. Now my problems inside the river- wind knots, catching the tip of my rod with my fly, getting my dropper fly tangled in my indicator fly, and an assortment of other hassles...
Old 09-04-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
I'm no pro by far, but I'll take every ounce of help you guys are willing to put out. There were two ladies out there fishing, it was a little disheartening to watch their tight loops rolling gently onto the water, but I can't complain since I've only been interested for a few months.

Haha thanks Gerry... You're awesome, thanks for everything. I'm gonna try to go out this weekend, I know for sure I'll be floating it with my dad next Sunday, and then Ron's casting class is the weekend after that. If he let me use that TFO Pro series he wouldn't see it again I like my rod a little more, but I'm almost ready to buy the TFO Pro. I want to buy a complete setup- rod, reel, and GOOD line. My $20 Dick's line wasn't cutting it.

Well, as I told you I love it so much I would be the happiest man if I could make a living off of it. But the careers I'm looking into pay well and have a good bit of down time so I can afford to go fish frequently. Nothing matters when I'm on the stream, it's all for fun and all my other problems outside the river disappear. Now my problems inside the river- wind knots, catching the tip of my rod with my fly, getting my dropper fly tangled in my indicator fly, and an assortment of other hassles...
Heck Trey, that sounds like a normal day on the river

Grumpy
Old 09-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Heck Trey, that sounds like a normal day on the river

Grumpy
Oh boy I was having to stop like every 30 minutes to fix something. I really need to work on my knot tying, and I need to get some more tippet and flies.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:37 PM

Has anyone tried a San Juan worm on the Caney? Seems like it would work fantastically.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 PM

Trey, it was great fishing with you. I was very impressed with your casting especially considering you've only been at this game a little while. As I said before, shoot me an email when you want to fish...

Here's a couple fish from the day...the brookies are coloring up nicely and should be spectacular in another month or less...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 PM

Thanks again David... He saved me MANY times with knot tying and giving me 6X tippet. Next time we fish together I'll buy you a new spool because I probably went through that much That top one is pretty big for a Caney Brookie, and the second one's color is pretty, especially the pattern on his back.