Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 AM

Default Eagle VS Hazel VS Forney

Hey guys I was just wondering about some basics on each of these creeks. I am thinking about doing a pack in trip to some where on the south side of the park and was wondering the pros and cons of each. I am hoping for some of the more experience people one this board to have some good info. Mainly accessability, fish type, campsites, quality of fish, crowdedness, and such. Thanks for any input that you might have.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM

none are easily accessed without a boat, hazel creek probably sees more fishermen, but all three should be fishing real good right now with browns and rainbows down low and brookies starting to show up in the higher elevations.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:09 PM

Forney and Eagle definitely see less people, especially with the spawning season coming up. If i was you i would give forney a try and fish several miles upstream from the lake. The big ones should be out and you'll probably not see any other fisherman.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:12 AM

The boat is not that big of a deal I have one that I can get across with.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 09-16-2008, 08:24 PM

Default Hazel vs Eagle vs Forney

Having fished all 3 this summer. It all depends on what you're looking for. If you've never been, Hazel is beautiful, has alot of history to explore, has some big browns, but get crowded. Eagle is small and tight fishing. You'll probably catch the most in a day on Eagle, but they're gonna be small. Forney is probably the least accessible either via boat or the trail throught the Tunnel to Nowhere. Forney will probably have the least traffic, is somewhere between Hazel and Eagle in size and has it's share of big browns. Either place I recommend going up to the 2nd campsite to get away from the lake. Personally, I would go to Forney and stay at the old CCC camp (2nd camp upstream). From there, you could go upstream or down to fish. Plenty of good water and nice pools.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 AM

I have fished Forney and Hazel, but not Eagle. Forney and Hazel have distinct differences. The trail on Hazel is essentially a road while the trail up Forney is backcountry trail and Hazel's trail is easier particularly for the first 4-5 miles. I found Hazel to be more beautiful than Forney.

I stayed at Bone Valley on Hazel and the CC camp on Forney. In my opinion, the better fishing on Hazel begins about 3-4 miles from the lake, while Forney starts fishing pretty good lower.

I fished Hazel in May (prime) and Forney in early July. I caught many more fish on Hazel, but the fish were a tad bit larger on Forney. I caught more brook trout on Hazel and believe it is probably the better stream for brook trout. I didn't catch any on Forney.

Hazel does get crowded at times. However, when I fished Hazel I only saw a handfull of other fisherman. When I stayed at Forney, a crowd of fishermen came in the CC camp by horseback. It was quite an unwelcomed surprise.

Forney seemed to have a narrower stream channel and wading was a bit more difficult there. I liked the Bone Valley campsite more than the CC campsite.

I enjoyed both fishing both streams and would go back. If it was my first time fishing either, I believe I would fish Hazel and stay at Bone Valley. It is a very beautiful and special place. Hazel is just a must fish stream in my opinion, and probably more due to its ambiance and history than it being a superior trout stream.