Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 09-28-2008, 07:34 PM

Nothing like waiting until the last minute! Fly fishing has been very scarce this month with college football on the scene! We got out for a little while today and thankfully this little guy came out to play! As one of our fly fishing buddies would say - "It ain't love...but it'll do!"

9/28/08 - Tennessee River - popper

Old 09-29-2008, 02:07 PM

At least you caught one...I went to the Caney twice this month and nothin'.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 PM

been a tough summer for fishing for me and have really struggled to get out. I finally was able to do a bit of fishing in my garage and was able to bring this 3", .5oz Mrs Paul's fish stick to hand. I was a struggle but I was able to get a decent drift past the freezer when WHAM ! ! !. Out of the blue I had a strike and good hook set (you can see that in the pic.) It was a struggle to keep him (her?) from tangling in the compound mitre saw and I thought I was home free after that......to my surprize he (she) made a run past the drum sander and almost made it to the scroll saw ( I'd have never landed him (her) then) but I was able to keep him(her) from spooling me and get him(her) to the net. What a rush......btw, does anyone out there know how to tell the male from female fish stick? Can I have credit for this, I haven't been able to fish since late May......

scheduled to be in townsend Oct 12-18 and can't wait to really fish, if any of you'uns are around then and wanna hit a creek just shoot me an email....

reg40@woh.rr.com

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob

Jeremiah 29:13
Old 09-29-2008, 04:05 PM

Default Mrs. Pauls

It's safe to say it's a hybrid! There's more than one fish in that catch, that would at least be a safe assumption~! It also brings a proper meaning to "stick fish". He/She fell victim to what appears to be a white wulff. Strange "it" must have mistaken it for a speck of tartar sauce! Jeezo, your making me hungry!

As for the count, I'll be sure to make an honorable mention segment! ALFlyGirl, or someone else wishing to take over the "results" portion. Who wants it? I'm having serious issues getting the proper time to devote to doing it...Anymore when I get free time it's making a last ditch attempt to either make more money or go fishing. For lack of better wording, I'm just tied up all the time anymore! I'm going to attempt to get this month and last month updated before handing it over. However, my computer locked up the "trial version" of Excel. So I'm going to try and transfer it to my email and attempt it while at work. Which could be potentially dangerous!

Anyone interested just reply here...MMorgan ALFlyGril you all have first dibbs since you all helped in originally getting it organized!

As for this month, well I'll just say Yellowstone was kind of a bust! A very apparent cold snap rolled through just a week prior to arriving in Billings, MT. On our approach over the Beartooth the temperature was 28 degrees at 10,918 ft above sea level (the highest part of the drive up the tooth). When we dropped into yellowstone it was around 42 degrees and the fish showed the first signs of winter and there adjustment. Noses down and heavily podded. A warming trend swept through slowly after we arrived but the fishing was so slow we decided to head to the Big Horn a day early.

Folks if you've never been to the Yellowstone, decide early what it is that you want to accomplish and plan a week there. Even being there a week you won't see everything that you would like too!

The big horn was slow for the first day and a half! Our first day in the boat we had guides float by us with thier hands in the air scrunching their shoulders in disbelief of the horrible fishing! Our last day and half we absolutely blistered fish! A san jaun worm saved our butts! Big time! It's a hard river to figure out too. We were fishing a 9' 3x leader with 15" of 3x tippet tied on to your first fly, a san juan, then an additional 18" of 3x to your dropper. Two bb split shots at the leader/tippet knot and an indicator 1' from the fly line. Keep in mind we fished this in about 3 to 5' of water...Sometimes fishing it in 2' of water and never striking the bottom! It was, to say the very least, like going back to school! Those fish schooled us the first two days, but we showed them in the end! It was a great trip and I'm looking forward to this year!

Were thinking the Yellowstone and the Missouri River this year. Paula, input on the Missouri please?!!

Here's some hero shots!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

See that is just not right......due to the fisherman's post, and the fact that next month's picture os gonig to be of a monster brown...here is a GSMNP Trophy!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermansfly View Post
It's safe to say it's a hybrid! There's more than one fish in that catch, that would at least be a safe assumption~! It also brings a proper meaning to "stick fish". He/She fell victim to what appears to be a white wulff. Strange "it" must have mistaken it for a speck of tartar sauce! Jeezo, your making me hungry!

As for the count, I'll be sure to make an honorable mention segment! ALFlyGirl, or someone else wishing to take over the "results" portion. Who wants it? I'm having serious issues getting the proper time to devote to doing it...Anymore when I get free time it's making a last ditch attempt to either make more money or go fishing. For lack of better wording, I'm just tied up all the time anymore! I'm going to attempt to get this month and last month updated before handing it over. However, my computer locked up the "trial version" of Excel. So I'm going to try and transfer it to my email and attempt it while at work. Which could be potentially dangerous!

Anyone interested just reply here...MMorgan ALFlyGril you all have first dibbs since you all helped in originally getting it organized!

As for this month, well I'll just say Yellowstone was kind of a bust! A very apparent cold snap rolled through just a week prior to arriving in Billings, MT. On our approach over the Beartooth the temperature was 28 degrees at 10,918 ft above sea level (the highest part of the drive up the tooth). When we dropped into yellowstone it was around 42 degrees and the fish showed the first signs of winter and there adjustment. Noses down and heavily podded. A warming trend swept through slowly after we arrived but the fishing was so slow we decided to head to the Big Horn a day early.

Folks if you've never been to the Yellowstone, decide early what it is that you want to accomplish and plan a week there. Even being there a week you won't see everything that you would like too!

The big horn was slow for the first day and a half! Our first day in the boat we had guides float by us with thier hands in the air scrunching their shoulders in disbelief of the horrible fishing! Our last day and half we absolutely blistered fish! A san jaun worm saved our butts! Big time! It's a hard river to figure out too. We were fishing a 9' 3x leader with 15" of 3x tippet tied on to your first fly, a san juan, then an additional 18" of 3x to your dropper. Two bb split shots at the leader/tippet knot and an indicator 1' from the fly line. Keep in mind we fished this in about 3 to 5' of water...Sometimes fishing it in 2' of water and never striking the bottom! It was, to say the very least, like going back to school! Those fish schooled us the first two days, but we showed them in the end! It was a great trip and I'm looking forward to this year!

Were thinking the Yellowstone and the Missouri River this year. Paula, input on the Missouri please?!!

Here's some hero shots!

It is about time you showed up here again. I was beginning to think you chose to just stay out there. Nice pics, and sorry if it was somewhat of a bust. However, you did get to experience that wonderful scenery.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 09-29-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyetrouter View Post
been a tough summer for fishing for me and have really struggled to get out. I finally was able to do a bit of fishing in my garage and was able to bring this 3", .5oz Mrs Paul's fish stick to hand. I was a struggle but I was able to get a decent drift past the freezer when WHAM ! ! !. Out of the blue I had a strike and good hook set (you can see that in the pic.) It was a struggle to keep him (her?) from tangling in the compound mitre saw and I thought I was home free after that......to my surprize he (she) made a run past the drum sander and almost made it to the scroll saw ( I'd have never landed him (her) then) but I was able to keep him(her) from spooling me and get him(her) to the net. What a rush......btw, does anyone out there know how to tell the male from female fish stick? Can I have credit for this, I haven't been able to fish since late May......

scheduled to be in townsend Oct 12-18 and can't wait to really fish, if any of you'uns are around then and wanna hit a creek just shoot me an email....

reg40@woh.rr.com

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob

Ha! If i would have known that, I could have counted the dead one that I found on the bank! I guess that would be considered a brown?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:33 PM

Fishermansfly,

Wow! What an nice trip! One of these days I'll make that one. Here's a picture of me and my little cousin (calls me uncle) on our exotic Caney Fork trip!

BRF
Old 09-29-2008, 09:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyetrouter View Post

reg40@woh.rr.com

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob

If you're going to practice your casting, you need to find some open greenspace, In other words, stop trying to practice casting in the garage!!

You obviously hooked this monster in the garage and then took it out the back door for the obligatory "glory shot"! Did you even try and revive it before returning it to the freezer or did you just drop it into the deep fryer?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:57 PM

Default Revenge

Brother I'll be back next year for certain....Revenge will hopefully be bittersweet. As for the SoHo, I think we've got a month before it gets good! I just hope another shop doesn't advertise the spawn like last year! Boy, below the wier was crowded for weeks on end! I remember that group that had camped out, literally, just below the wier last year! Sad, sad! They were also some of the loudest bunch of individuals I've ever seen on the stream too! I'll stay away this year. I think enough people already know about it there's no sense about spreading that knowledge any farther! It's getting close though! I believe I'll be pounding the banks of the upper section of the Caney in the weeks to follow! Maybe a trip or two through the Watauga, I believe that water needs my attention!

~Brett