Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-14-2008, 11:36 AM

Default "International Trip"

Well, it's time for my annual trip with Cardfly Jr. He is calling it our "international trip" so if any of you see us next Saturday, try to look international.

We are going to start early up above the campground at Elkmont. The owners of the hotel we are staying in told me that fishing the Little River right behind the hotel is ok so that will be the middle of the day.

We are ending up at Metcalf bottoms so CFJr can get a little casting experience. I've gone with the set up that Mr. Hartsell recommended on his report for him. Ross Reel with a 3 wt TFO rod.

I have Orange stimulators, BWO, and the silent but deadly SMBSH!

I sure hope to get back on with a good report and that CFJr got on a fish.

I also hope to see some you on the water. Give us some kind of secret signal so we will recognize you.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 09-14-2008, 06:18 PM

You may have to stay higher up if the temperatures don't go down some. The low water and unseasonably warm temps have the water warmer than normal for this time. If that's the case, go above elkmont like you mentioned or search out other waters that will be a little cooler.

I hope that you and your son have a great trip, i'm sure you will.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:39 PM

Well, we might get to extend our trip. The weather here on Sunday was nuts. 75 miles per hour sustained winds for about 4 hours, 500,000 in Ky without power, 300,000 plus without power in Louisville alone. AND NO SCHOOL! We just got our power back but about 150,000 are still out. No damage but my neighbors got a tree on their roof.

Is there a place close to Townsend to rent a car, that way I can fish with CFjr and the little woman and monkeyfly can have some fun while we fish?

JSouth, don't know how I would make out in one of those real hurricanes down south.

Whewwwww

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 PM

Well the second annual "international trip" is over and right up front there were no fish caught.

BUT...

I do have to consider this to be one of the best trips I have been on. Cardfly jr really hung in there hiking and fishing up above Elkmont. It was really beautiful up there. I did see my first copperhead and didn't go running out of the woods screaming. We talked the little woman and monkey fly into going up for a hike the next day.

I got to fish that day too but the great thing was that the little woman herself picked up my fly rod and took a cast or 2 and look pretty good at it.

Paula, you may have a recruit for the beginners class yet.

Anyway, 2 days hiking up the little river trail and no fish. This was the best trip yet.

Last edited by cardfly; 09-23-2008 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: tried to put the snake out of my mind!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:18 PM

CardFly,

You ever thought about fishing the Caney Fork? It's just outside of Nashville. You could stay in Nashville at night and see the sights and fish the Caney in the day time.

BRF