Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 AM

Default White River Arkansas

Anyone ever fished there? I noticed it's only 5 hours or so from Nashville and I'm thinking about going. If anyone has any info on a remote location that has public access, I would appreciate it. Also, fly shop info etc.

Thanks,

BRF
Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 PM

I wondered why the fly fishing section of BPS had "White River" on everything, so I went home and Googled it. I don't think I saw one bad comment about that river, so I say go for it. Google is your friend, but I'd also look for personal comments, too.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:18 PM

Headed there in November, be my first time in the area
Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 PM

BlueRaiderFan,
Hardly any remote locations on the river, but Wildcat Shoals may be an area that you won't see a lot of people at. Also, the area below the bridges at Cotter. Mountain River fly shop will be your stop there in Cotter, or Blue Ribbon flies in Mtn. Home.

Good luck,

mstone
Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 PM

Visit the Norfork River while you are there. If you are looking for a guide you can do no better than John Gulley ( http://www.flyguide.com ), Orvis Guide of the Year (1998?), one of the best competition casts in the world, etc.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:41 PM

Been there several times. If you're wading there is a place about halfway down the Norfolk, I forget the name, but the guy charges $3.00 to park and you can walk up to several good spots from there. The White is harder to wade, with only a couple good access points. Blue Ribbon shop will definitely be helpful. Do a search on this site. I think I posted from a couple trips. Definitely some big fish in the White. Here are a couple sites to get you pumped.

Good luck,

<'))))><
justfishing

http://www.ozarkangler.com/river
http://ozarkchronicles.com
http://flyfishingarkansasandmissouri...t/Norfork.html
Old 09-17-2008, 09:57 PM

It's McClellan's. The map and a few other good ones are available at,

http://www.ozarkangler.com/river

Half the fun is the prep. Have a good one.

<'))))><
justfishing
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM

Wow guys...THanks for all of the info! I will look into it. I heard that the White is best in the Summer while the water is down. I guess I should call some outfitters and ask a few questions.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
I wondered why the fly fishing section of BPS had "White River" on everything, so I went home and Googled it. I don't think I saw one bad comment about that river, so I say go for it. Google is your friend, but I'd also look for personal comments, too.
Yeah, White River makes some good rods and reels. I think they are an offshoot of Orvis. They make some cheap stuff too though, so always check with your trusty outfitter to compare rigs.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 PM

Regarding McLellan's--they closed their access on Jan 1 08. There are now only 3 places to access the Norfork --at the dam/state park, at an access referred to as the Handicapped Access, and at the confluence with the White. Too bad, as McLellan's was awesome. However, you can still get there in a boat and then get out to wade if water is down. Remember though that the water comes up extremely quickly on the Norfork when they start generating and it can be very dangerous when wading.

Speaking of water--both rivers had major flooding in March and April, and the lakes are still way above their power pools levels, so generation has generally been extremely heavy all summer. Recently it has abated somewhat, but will probably go back up as soon as water levels drop downstream in the Newport AR area.

The White is a wonderful river with 50+ miles of great trout water and lots of access. A couple of other great guides are John Wilson, Davy Wotton, and Mark Poulous. Winter fishing is some of the best there is. Two great stores to get info from --Blue Ribbon Flies and Mountain River Fly Shop. Good luck!