Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 09-18-2008, 12:14 AM

THanks MKCTN...I am looking forward to making the trip.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:22 PM

Default 5 hours?

If you make it there in 5 hours from Nashville, you drive faster than me!

sb
Old 09-18-2008, 05:29 PM

5-7 whatever...
Old 09-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Below the bridges at Cotter is a great place to fly fish, but if you are going to fly fish the White a boat would be the better option. The Norfork is a great place to fly fish and has great wading access at the dam where Dry Run Creek runs into it. It's a shame you can't fish the main stem of Dry Run Creek since it is 16 and under. Dry Run Creek is catch and release only so it is filled with absolute monsters! A few years ago I caught one in there that my dad and I estimated to be 15 pounds. Anyway, another great place to wade on the Norfork is the handicap access. There is a lot of good looking water their. I would preferrably fish the handicap access over the access at the dam because the area at the dam gets hammered with fishermen. I hope you have a great trip while you're their, and try to catch one of the monster White River browns.

fly fisherman DK
Old 10-25-2008, 12:29 AM

I hear the dissolved Oxygen levels are low, effecting the fish and currently preventing any stocking. Anyone know how long this will last? Planning a trip in Mid- November
Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 PM

Won't be taking a boat or hiring a guide. I will just have to do my best by gleaning info off the internet.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:11 AM

As you have probably figured out ; low water will probably determine which river you fish. This time of year the White is usually high and at 8 generators will make the Clinch on high flow look like a kiddey pool. On the flip side my friends say the White River shad kill is fishing the best they have seen in 6 years.

Your best bet for low water this time of year is the Little Red, and then followed by the Norfork.
1-870-431-5311 will give you the current flow on the White and the Norfork
1-501-362-5150 will give you Greer's ferry Dam which controls the flow of the Little Red.
Neither of these will predict future flows they simply tell current conditions and when the generation began or ended. This will give you and idea of how far down stream you need to go to still find low water. Thus we have the art of "chasing low water."

This being said If I could fish only one river and had my choice. it would be the Norfork hands down. When the Norfork is on low water you can wade the entire length of the river from the dam all the way down to where it enters the White River.
There are a lot of insect hatches, and other food sources in the river. You can also catch Brook , Cutthroats, Browns, Rainbows, and Cutt-Bows there. Not to mention that excluding the current world record the past 4 world record Browns came out of the Norfork .

Have on hand lots of size #16 and #18 Ozark Scuds and Sow bugs, and also like to use Olive Micro-Boogers, and Black Zebra midges in #18's and #20's all under a strike indicators. If you do not to use strike indicators life on the Ozark tailwaters is going to be very hard on you.

Jim Liscomb at Two Rivers fly shop is the guru of the Norfork and the best guide on both the Fork and the White. 1-870-499-3060

Dale Fulton at Blue Ribbon Flies is also a wealth of information. 1-870-425-0447 Dale sales a handbook by the North Arkansas Fly fishing Club that WILL be the best $6.99 you ever spent in relation to the Ozark tailwaters. It will tell you how to get to public accesses not on most maps, and give you estimated high water flow times from the dam to each access. which gives you a leg up on "Chasing Low Water".

I have heard that Dale has sold the shop, but the new owners are first rate folks.

The Pine Lodge is a cheap place to stay. it is modest , but clean. 1-800-440-4195 Or you can camp at Bull Shoals State Park.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 AM

Default High water on the White

Bull shoals reservoir is still 22' above power pool. They are having heavy generation around the clock to bring it down. They estimate the middle of December before it is down to power pool. This has been going on since April- May. They are also experiencing lake turn over right now causing low dissolved oxygen. The reports are slow fishing until the water clears up. Check out Ozarkanglers.com. A guide named John Berry writes a weekly report on the White and Norfork. He gives a lot of good info. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info, guys. I will check it out.

BRF
Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 PM

Yes, thanks for all the information.