Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 AM

Default Culinary Message for Byron

I finally got around to that brookie last night, along with a similarly sized rainbow. I marinated them in lime juice, then slapped them on the grill. It was very, very good, but I would still have preferred that he didn't put me in the position of having to keep him; I would just rather release the specs - I had no such qualms with the rainbow.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Administrator

ijsouth,

Are you seriously thinking Byron would do the actual cooking of a fish?

I'll keep the lime marinade idea in mind. That sounds good.

Paula
Old 09-16-2008, 10:34 AM

I normally use lemon juice, but I saw the lime juice in the store the other day, and I like the taste of it better. Either juice firms up the flesh - which is a bigger deal when you're dealing with thawed fish from the freezer. Incredibly simple...I just let them soak in the juice a while, then put some Tabasco and "Slap Ya Mama" on them, then put them on some tinfoil and set them on the grill. A few minutes on each side, and they were done.

When it gets cooler, and they start stocking heavily below the park, there's a good chance of getting a big stocker in the lower reaches of the streams. I've hung a few at Cosby - next time I come up, I'll bring some charcoal...you can't beat fish cooked at their absolute freshest.

Byron had mentioned the other day that he had never eaten a brook trout. This was the first time for me, and it was good; however, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between it and the rainbow - both were wild fish, so that probably explains it. Some people think the specs taste the best of all, and who am I to argue with them?

Last edited by ijsouth; 09-16-2008 at 01:12 PM..
Old 09-17-2008, 01:35 PM

IJ,

That does sound good. If I land one that looks like he's going to die I'll try it. I just really don't like to eat trout. I'll eat shellfish or fried grouper in a heartbeat. I'm glad the Ike missed you. We had a guy in here from Covington last week. He didn't know you. Tell the girls hello!

Byron
Old 09-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Covington is getting to be a big place - I would say a solid majority of the people living in this area moved here in the last 10 years. It used to be a quaint little place, but no more.

We didn't have any real damage from either storm - a house down the street had some tree damage to their roof from Gustav, but that was about it. However, people living along the lake in Mandeville and down in Madisonville had some serious flooding from the surge from Ike, even though it didn't get any closer than 300 miles to us. Gustav had piled a lot of water into Lake Ponchartrain, and it hadn't had much of a chance to work itself out when Ike approached. We had three days of strong winds out of the east and southeast, and by Friday it was surging over the banks and up the streams that drain into the lake. I noticed in particular the roadway along I-12 - not only was the Tchefuncte River way over its banks, it was clear water, which meant it was all surge and not due to rain (we barely had any). There was water along the sides of I-12, well away from the river - even the little feeder bayous and canals were backing up. There's a canal right behind my mom's house, and it was up to the brim. It took until this week, and the passage of a front with some northerly winds, to blow it all out.

I never remember seeing surges this high, particularly from a storm that missed us by quite a distance. I know that Ike had a tremendously high surge, but down here, we can't help but think that our disintigrating marshland south and east of us is the reason. A solid marsh area would cut the surge down to almost nothing by the time it reached New Orleans...this is something the rest of the country just isn't aware of. We're flooding now because we've lost so much land, and we lost so much land because we walled in the Mississippi and dug a bunch of canals, primarily for the oil industry. We supply 40% of the seafood, and a similar amount of oil/natural gas - if we don't rebuild the marshes, all that goes by the wayside. This country is spending billions to restore the Everglades; the wetlands of Southeast Louisiana are every bit as unique, and far more valuable to the country as a whole...yet, we don't seem to be very high on the list of priorities.

Sorry for getting on the soapbox...thanks for the concern over the storms, and thank you again for the internet access while we were up there - we were definitely in a news blackout there for a while...hope to see y'all around Thanksgiving, when the focus will SOLELY be on fishing...

One more thing...have you ever had grilled amberjack? Man, that's great eating - you should be able to get some when you go down to Florida this fall.

Last edited by ijsouth; 09-17-2008 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: One mo' thing
Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Don't apologize for getting on the soapbox....a lot of times that is the only way you can get anything accomplished. I intend to do it as well as soon as I run across Mr. Shuler our house rep. I want to see what we need to do to get a hatchery supported stretch turned over to catch and release here in town. I am just glad that everything worked out for you, AND you'll be able to make another trip up here in November to catch a few fish. I intend to take a camping trip this weekend and see if maybe the browns are ready to eat a pheasant tail. Best of wishes
Michael Corbin
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 PM

Thanks...hopefully I'll find out for sure soon whether I'll be coming up. It depends on whether the kids' grandparents take them on a trip that week, like they have the last 2 years. It's good to have some time alone, and I really love the park after all the crowds leave.

It's going to take a lot of lobbying....it's ongoing right now - our new governor is pretty sharp, so that helps. Southeast Louisiana is vital to the country as a whole, but in order for it to remain viable at all, the marshes have to be rejuvinated. As a writer for the Times-Picayune pointed out, we can't have basically the entire population leave for weeks at a time, have business come to a standstill, and then expect people from outside the area to invest or move here.

I would imagine the browns will be getting active soon. Most of the brookies I caught a few weeks ago were getting their spawning colors, and I caught most of them in the tail end of pools. Also, the rainbow I kept was full of roe - I know they're normally spring spawners, but I have read that in the park, they may be adopting the fall schedule of the specs and the browns.