Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-16-2008, 10:59 AM

Default Headwaters

I was wondering if anyone on the board has actually viewed the true beginning of any of our waters that we fish and if so what they found. My grandfather once told me of find several springs where some of the creeks actually "started"...I once took off in search of the headwaters of Walker Camp Prong where it takes off up the mountain....I got to a point where I could not get through the deadfalls of dead fir trees and I could step across the stream....there was no where to climb around the trees and the water was actually between two walls....would like to hear about anyone's experience in this area...thanks.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:34 PM

I have often wandered the same thing. Campsite 44 is right beside a spring so that would be interesting to see.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:50 PM

This is a neat topic - I've always been fascinated with springs and the beginnings of streams, etc. While I've run across dozens of springs, seeps, etc in the park, I can't say that I've actually definitively been at the source of one of the better-known streams. I have gone fairly far up Cosby, and plan to explore even further - I want to know how high I can go and still find fishable water. This last time, I made it past the point where three feeder streams combine to form Cosby; two of them were almost dry, while the third one held most of the water, and was very fishable above the junction. I would also like to take the Low Gap trail, which follows one of the prongs up the ridge, and drop in on the other side - there are some nice looking (on a map) streams there that feed Big Creek.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:19 PM

Ijsouth,

Don Kirk speaks highly of Yellow Creek in his book. I am curious about that area as well. I may do one backcountry camp/fish up the Big Creek darainage this fall.

Neal
Old 09-16-2008, 04:31 PM

Looks like i'm not the only one wanting to fish yellow creek, maybe a group trip is in order
Old 09-16-2008, 05:18 PM

Yep...I have the Kirk book - he mentions a lot of streams that were closed at the time of publishing, but are open now. I would like to check Yellow Creek out, but there are a bunch of others in that area. There's one (unnamed on my map) that runs right alongside Low Gap once you cross the mountains into North Carolina...makes you wonder if it's big enough to hold some decent fish. Low Gap trail is definitely the way to go if you're interested in exploring that area - it's basically a straight shot, and since it crosses the AT, you have a lot of options.

I wish I could make it for a backcountry trip this fall...however, the demands of work, the kids in school, and that unexpected "vacation" due to Gustav have conspired to force me to wait 10 weeks until Thanksgiving week. By then, I know the cold will have set in, and the prime fishing will have passed, but you take what you can get. I've come up, alone, the last 2 Thanksgivings, and I have to say I enjoy the solitude of the park at that time. If nothing else, I'll hike and scout some, and work some fishing in.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:13 AM

Default Big Creek Trip

Hello Craig,

I am thinking about heading up to Big Creek for my first backcountry camping trip during the second week of October. Hopefully, we get a little rain before October.

Neal
Old 09-21-2008, 07:35 AM

Which campsite are you staying at on big creek?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:29 AM

Default Big Creek Trip

Craig,

I just made a reservation for campsite 37 for 10-5 & 6. I tried to get Friday and Sat., but Sat. was filled up. I have the 6-14 off from work, so it wasn't a big issue for me. I may stay at the Cosby or Big Creek frontcountry site on the 4th.

Neal
Old 09-22-2008, 04:59 AM

It's an easy walk up to 37 and the stream flattens out quite a bit from where it starts out down near the campground. Brookies start to show up around that campsite as well. There are also several good tributaries above that campsite so give those a try too. Also, i've heard bears were bad up there but i've never seen one, just something to think about.