Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 AM

Default Rage

could not sleep last night--the more I thought about it the madder I became--Sunday I headed out for the Cumberland River-=-when I got there I reached behind the seat in my pickup for my rods--they were gone--stolen--along with my Dad's maple fly box(vintage 40's)--I purchased both rods from Little River Outfitters several years ago--one was a Winston LT-5 5wt 8'9" and the other was a Winston LT-5 4wt 7'6"--the 5 wt went with me to Montana,Yellowstone,the San Juan River(I almost lost it in the current,when I dropped it while changing a fly--- followed it downstream a ways and got it back),the Battenkill River in New York,and the Cumberland,close to home---the 4wt was a babe--I used it fishing streams--it was my Smokies rod--the one I took with me the 4-6 times a year when I grab the wife and jump in the truck--cruise down I-75--destination is one of my favorite places in the world--the GSMNP--what can I say--somehow I got "attached" to these non animate graphite sticks,they became something special,more than a mere possession--my grandson loved the 4wt---he told me he wanted it for his own if I ever died---this kid's compassion is enough to warm any gizzard--when someone steals from you--that timid victim feeling is just not there--- it is replaced by rage,you can't sleep because you don't just want your stuff back---you want to hurt the idiots who took it--and if thats not enough--I know to myself my rods were probably sold for nothing or traded for pills--and that makes me feel violated---well that's about it except I will say that if I catch the theif(s)" I WILL teach them a lesson they won't live long enough to never forget"(Mark Twain--Huck Finn)--Called Daniel at LRO about a new rod--a rageful inquiry---said he's got the rods just make up my mind on which rod I want---talked a minute or two---will get back with him--said bye--hung up
Old 09-16-2008, 12:37 PM

Wow that is definitely something worth getting riled up over, sorry about that. Just take peace of mind that someday, somewhere down the line the person will pay.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Default Any idea as to...

...when or where they were stolen? Just curious as to whether or where we may need to be more cautious?

Mike

PS: Sorry to hear of your loss! I've been held up at gun point as well as having had both our home and the Church I pastor broken into, nothing fun about it...
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 09-16-2008, 10:25 PM

Default Rage

That stinks. I to this day have been lucky with the tackle, though I have had stereos, radar detectors (when I used to use them), cell phones, daytimers, check books and last but not least a favorite pair of Action Optics
photochromic sunglasses, still miss them. Sorry for your loss, I too am pretty attached to my rods.
So where were you?
Best,
John