Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs

Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Default AuSable River, MI Cleanup

My TU chapter (Challenge Chapter, #222) participated in the annual clean-up this past Saturday. This clean-up is headed up by Rusty Gates of Gates AuSable Lodge at Grayling and the Anglers of the AuSable.

It was very gratifying to see over 250 people of all ages and genders show so much interest in maintaining the river. When I left Rusty's place on Saturday afternoon, the 20 cubic yard container was almost full of trash that the various teams had collected.

As you might imagine, much of the trash had nothing to do with trout fishing or trout fisherman but other recreational activities that occur on the river.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:53 PM

Sounds like a terrific project!

You up in MI now? I'm going to head up for step-daughter's wedding in a couple weeks. Never trout fished in MI, only bass. Thinking about a canoe float trip. Any advice?

JohnR
johnrich21 at comcast
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM

Default AuSable River, MI Fishing / Guide Services

John,

There are many excellent guide services which use the AuSable River Boat. Rusty Gates at Gates AuSable Lodge is one my personal favorites which I have used many times. Todd Fuller at Fuller's North Branch Outing Club also runs a really excellent service also. (Both have websites, so you can check them out.) If you are a first timer to the AuSable River, I would use one of these.

All sections of the river are currently open. After September 30, the 'big water' below Mio is closed until next season. So if you get here in September, all fishing options will be open for you.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Sounds like a terrific project!

You up in MI now? I'm going to head up for step-daughter's wedding in a couple weeks. Never trout fished in MI, only bass. Thinking about a canoe float trip. Any advice?

JohnR
johnrich21 at comcast
Old 09-11-2008, 12:49 PM

We'll have to check them out. First time checking out those waters. Even looks like we'll have a little time to make the trip - ummm... the fishing part, I mean. Whoooo Hoooooo!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Default AuSable River, MI Fishing / Guide Services

John,

Here are the links to the two places I have used and like:

Link to Fuller NBOC - http://www.fullersnboc.com/

Link to Gates AuSable Lodge - http://www.gateslodge.com/
Old 09-17-2008, 12:12 PM

Look like a couple nice places. Thanks for your help!
John
Old 09-17-2008, 01:39 PM

Bill and Sheila who work here with us stayed at Gates last week. Some other friends of mine will be there week after next. I've been there once. Rusty and Julie were in our shop a year or so ago. I really like both of them and staying at the lodge is terrific. What a beautiful river.

Byron