Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Falling down?

I was with a buddy the other day when he slipped on a rock and broke his arm. I have fell more times than I care to remember. I have been lucky to only have gotten some bumps and a few cuts. I guess the only thing I have hurt is my pride a few times. There is nothing more refreshing then taking a dip early in the am when the water is 50 degrees. I was just curious if any one else has ever had a serious injury from taking a plunge while fishing. By the way my friend is fine and he wants to do a little one arm fly fishing this weekend. lol....
Old 09-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Like you, i've only had minor cuts and bruises. I've taken some pretty good falls before but i've been lucky enough to escape serious injury. Most of my falls tend to happen as the day progresses and my legs tire on me.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:21 PM

Default Falling Down

I fell above Elkmont a couple of years ago by slipping and falling on a rock while it was raining. I broke two ribs but continued to fish the rest of the week. I called my doctor when I returned to Atlanta for pain medicine and she wanted an x-ray, which I complied with. Upon seeing her a few days later she informed me that I had not cracked two ribs, as I had suggested to her, but that they were broken in two. This is not the first time I have broken ribs but the first time I have broken something fishing - the others were related to sports and fighting (the fighting was over 30 years ago when I was much younger and more immature than I am currently).
Old 09-25-2008, 01:32 PM

Default Serious Injury

I am not sure if this counts but here goes. When I first moved here I heard of the WPLP and it's relative easy access. My first trip to the LP resulted in a hard fall while playing a fish. I was able to bust my cell phone and digital camara in one fall and my reel (which I used to catch myself). I at the time thought nothing of my shoulder pain. But shortly after this I had shoulder surgery for torn ligaments and cuff, Doc. said that it was related because of how I had caught myself. I guess that would count as serious, I know it counts as EXPENSIVE!

Steve Gillespie,
The Gypsy
Old 09-25-2008, 02:05 PM

I've fallen hard more times than I can remember. Like mtnman said, it tends to be later in the day as I start getting tired and pay less attention to my surroundings. Several times I've been afraid that something was broken but after sitting for a few minutes, things start feeling better and I usually keep fishing. Once I fell hard enough that I bent my reel and had to send it back to Orvis to get straightened... The mountain streams are dangerous if you are not paying attention. I'm a very agressive wader though so that probably contributes to more spills than some people would have...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 PM

I have had my share of close calls and the resulting nicks and dings....what is funny is that when I was young and running the streams the reflexes compensated for some bad decisions....now that I am older I know I am a lot more careful but I have lost that edge and the falls come more often...some of the worst ones don't come while fishing per se but trying to climb out of the river at some point I have no business even trying
Old 09-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Over a 35+ years span, I have had cracked ribs, three broken toes and a chipped elbow. The falls just add insult to injury and now the falls take a week to recuperate instead of hours.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM

I will tell you one thing that puts me in the water often, moving rocks. I just love it when I am on a tricky creek trying to get my balance and step one foot on a rock that seems to be way too big too move and it turns over right under my foot. That's usually when I do the good old split. lol. The funny thing is that when I fall I am usually just worried about not breaking or losing my rod and reel, even though it has a 25 year unconditional warranty...
Old 09-25-2008, 03:31 PM

I've "gone swimming" a few times. So far, the worst injury was a cut finger this spring. Nothing like standing in the water with blood running down your arm, dripping off your elbow and fishing. I'm glad trout are not sharks because I'm sure I was leaving quite the blood scent trail in the water. I could see the red in the water for several feet downstream of me.

I cut a piece off of my T-shirt and wrapped the finger and had a section of old fly line tied to my fishpond thermometer so I used a piece of that to tie the t-shirt section to keep pressure on the finger.

After 30 minutes or so, it stopped bleeding. I did keep on fishing evan though it was really throbbing.

I've been fortunate to not break anything or have more serious injuries.

Jeff
Old 09-25-2008, 05:17 PM

Swimming while fishing up here has to be a given....I have had rocks as large as my SUV move on me and send me scrambling....the clear water has ways of fooling you...one fall I was on the lower section of Roaring Fork...stepped into what looked to be water next to the bank that appeared 6-8" deep...ended up in a hole full of mud and decaying matter that put me in up over my waist...after the initial shock and embarrassment the stink set in and I had to wade out and take a bath.