Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-28-2009, 10:52 AM

Well, I posted this back in September, but it was recently brought back up to the first page, so I finally got around to ordering the National Geographic Trails Illustrated map from LRO. Got it yesterday and it is excellent. Will be using it in a couple of weeks from the 10th-13th.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:26 PM

I like it because it's the only map I've ever had that I could fold back up the same way everytime
Old 06-28-2009, 04:56 PM

I like those maps cause I can fold them "Every Which Way but Loose" and they keep on tickin. Plus they make great reading material on those Slowwwwwwwwwww nights in Maynardville
Old 06-30-2009, 08:02 AM

Yeah you can spend hours pouring over that 229 nat. geographic map. Its good reading material in a tent in the backcountry too and lighter than a book lol. I too have used mine for 2 years on a lot of backpacking trips through rain, mud, and folded it every which way it wasn't supposed to be and it is still in pretty good shape. Just now getting a bit of the print worn away in the creases. I have gotten way more than my $10 worth already though.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:36 AM

One of the best ways to get maps and most importantly an updated map is to visit the local courthouse in the area you are planning on fishing. You will most likely be directed to the zoning/building permit department. Tell them you would like a map with contours and you may want to have the property owners names printed...? You will look over a larger map of the county/region and select the actual zones you would like.

I would have each one (each grid containing the river stretch) printed on 11"x17" paper with a 10' contour (go smaller if it does not cloud up your map). Most rivers in the range of 8-10 miles will be around 7-8 grids. Of course this all depends on the rivers course and deviation on the map.

Each grid printed in color usually costs around $3 each. Some people may want to have all the grids put together on a map. This will reduce the readability of the map, but gives you an overall perspective.

Hope this helps....

*You may want to call ahead to give them sufficient time to put this together. I would say most would take an hour to do...But, you do not want to waste any fishing time if you can help it...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 06-30-2009 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: forgot a tip...
Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM

Great info. Do these folks do mail orders on maps? I especially like the bit about property owners names. Many counties allow you to have online access to property owner info, but many smaller counties do not. For those of you in the Nashville area, I used to deal with a little ompany called Map Sales and Services whaih will kind of chaotic, sold topo maps of all over. I go a great set of the Caney years ago. I think they are still in business on Lebanon Road close to Fesslers Lane.