Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-15-2008, 10:41 PM

Default Tellico area question

What's the latest on the Tellico and other streams, North & Bald? I haven't been since last April and I want (make that need) to get away and go back. In my experience, Fall is a good time to go as long as you don't look like a hog. Have they started shooting pigs yet?

Later
Alan a/k/a buster
Old 09-16-2008, 08:04 AM

hehehe, i always plan my trips between hog & bear season, if there's water

Grumpy
Old 09-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster55 View Post
Have they started shooting pigs yet?
Starts this weekend for archery, no dogs allowed. I'll be there both Saturday and Sunday. Not fishing, but trying to stick me a pig.

See if this works, but here are the dates for the big game hunts in South Cherokee. I cut and paste them from the hunting regulations.

Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 09-16-2008 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: addd dates
Old 09-24-2008, 02:14 PM

I am planning to go to the North and Bald this weekend, however, I havent heard anything about the water levels of these rivers. I have heard that this time of year it could go either way.

Q1 = are dries the best weapon of choice this time of year for these streams?
Q2 = is the permit rule in place or has it expired?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Tellico water level

Looks like the Tellico is almost down to a trickle. I like to fish it when the gauge reading is around 1 foot. Here's a link to USGS to check the level:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/uv?03518500

Phil
Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 PM

I was up there the weekend before last. The Tellico was down the lowest I've seen it since last summer.
I fished the Bald River and could not stop getting those little fish with the red ears to stop knocking at my flies. It was quite frustrating.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 PM

no doubt the water has been low but upper citico and north river have been producing for me. slow at times but still enough action to keep interested. on North there has been severel brooks caught over the 10 in mark by me and a few buddies. PA and wulffs 16 or smaller and small streamers preferably something with rabit fur in olive, brown and black. Try bald around holly flats and its tribs. best of luck you.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 PM

I fished the Bald about three weeks ago (labor day weekend). We had some rain a few days before so the water levels were better than I would think they are now. I fished the area from the bridge next to BR Falls trail up past Holly Flats. I have fished that area at least 4-5x a year for the past 15 years, and it was the best fishing I have had in that time. Did have a problem like a previous poster with those chubs or shiners(whatever they are). I had a strange thing happen that I had never experienced before: My first time on the water I had tied a thunderhead on & started throwing my line out. As I was working my line out I felt a little disturbance on my backcast. I started cussing thinking I was already hung in a tree then looked back to see a dragonfly trying to take my fly away for dinner. It was pretty cool & also gave me a good feeling that I was throwing the right fly for the conditions. Anyway sorry for the diversion & I hope you have a great trip.