Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-30-2008, 07:35 PM

David, that's the one! I guess I had my magnifying glasses on when I looked at the pic the last time

As far as the mice issue, I appreciate the input. I guess I need to take one small Tupperware container on this weekends excursion to Big Creek. I was more concerned about keep my food away from the bears, but I guess mice climb the cables and get in your stuff.

Looks like the east side of the Park may be getting a little rain tonight. Maybe that will help Big Creek out a little.

Neal
Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 PM

Default Mice!

You guys are starting to make me nervous, I thought we were supposed to worry about bears and now all I can think about are mice eating through my tent or pack. Seriously, I hope this isn't too big of a problem. I haven't been backpacking in the park since spring '07 and since then I have bought all new equipment and really can't afford to have rodents eating through it. I know, I bought it to use not sit in the garage. I will obviously keep food away from my tent, but I wonder if the mice could get conditioned to finding food in tents and go looking even if you don't have food there yourself. I have talked to people who have had mice problems before, but I have never personally had a problem. I did camp with a guy one time who woke up in the morning to find a backpack full of baby squirrels. I will be at campsite #55, if anyone has had real problems there let me know.

Also I will be going in on Monday, the 6th, and coming out either Thursday evening, the 9th, or Friday morning, the 10th. I made reservations through Friday but when I called there was no one else who had reserved a spot. If anyone will be up there that time let me know and maybe we will meet up somewhere along the way.

Mike

Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 08:39 PM

Sounds like you have good trip planned Mike. I hope to be heading towards Beep Creek after my 3 day backcoutry in the Big Creek. I'm not sure my ole bones will have enuff lefy in rhem to get up to site 55. I would like to fish the bend area and maybe above it. I was up there early in August for the first time it looked and fished pretty well.

Good luck on your trip,

Neal
Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 PM

I have had issues with mice on both of my trips during the warmer months this year. The first time they managed to chew a hole through my pack and get into some food. This last time they didn't damage the pack, but they got into both mine and my partners food inside the pack. We even found one up under our tent while eating supper, good thing that fella wised up and left though.

The only thing i would worry about is them getting into your pack. A tupperware container is a good idea and i would also put your food into a ziploc bag or two as well.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Craig,

You didn't fish Gunter Fork during your day hike into Walnut Bottoms? I plan on fishing Gunter at least one day during my trip, and I plan on hiking up Swallow Fork Trail on the way to Mt. Sterling (campsite 38 ). That will be toughest part of my trip, as I plan on heading downhill from Sterling via the Baxter Creek trail back to the Big Creek parking area. I was reading the Hiking Trails of Smokies book and it sounds like Gunter has some nice pools, and I'm curious about a couple of tribs to Swallow Fork. I hope there is enough water to give at least one of them a try for some brookies on my hike up to Mt. Sterling ridge.

Neal
Old 10-01-2008, 05:50 AM

Yeah i fished both gunter and swallow fork for a short while. You should be all brookies up at that point. We didn't get too far up those tribs since it was just a day trip but we did wet a line and found what you would expect, lots of eager specs. If you're feeling really adventurous, take a hike up to yellow creek. That was something we wanted to do but couldn't get to it due to time constraints. That was supposedly THE brook trout stream in the park for the old timers occording to kirk's book on the smokies. It would be interesting to see what it fishes like now........
Old 10-04-2008, 08:11 PM

Default May have to change plans

Well guys,

I now have a terrible cold/possible sinus infection. I have been waiting for a long time for this week of fishing. I just don't think I'm up to carring all my gear into the backcountry. I'm waiting to see how I feel Sunday Night/Monday Morning, but right now I am hoping to still go. I will probably stay in the frontcountry campground and base my fishing from there. I'm not particularly excited about fishing deep creek around the campground, my reason for going there was to get in the backcountry. So, I may consider relocating my base to another area. I'm probably going to have to shorten my trip one day now to make up for the work around the house that I didn't feel up to today. Hopefully, I will still be able to report about a few days of fishing.

Mike
Old 10-04-2008, 08:43 PM

Mike,

There is some nice water above the campground and a few miles up the Bend is good as well. Sorry you get sick, I am anxious to leave in the morning for my trip.

Neal
Old 10-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks Neal, we may go ahead and stay at Deep Creek campground and explore those waters if I feel up to it. Hope you have a good trip to Big Creek.

Mike
Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Don't overlook the water around the campground. The tubers are thinning out, and even if they aren't.....