Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Default Thank you TroutDude!

I had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with TroutDude on Sunday (10.5). We met up at the Deep Creek Trailhead around 8:30a and geared up for a hike up to Bumgardner Bend to do some fishing. We zipped up there pretty quickly and were fishing sometime around 9:30a (its amazing at how fast and effortless you can hike when you are GOING fishing...).

The water was low and slow, but better than most streams in the park, lately. The water was 54.5 degrees and the air temp was 64. It was a bit chilly for wet wading but it didn't bother me too much (at my advancing age). Fishing was mediocre at best. There were a number of nice looking spots but the fish were hiding this morning. I've never had much luck catching fish before 11am, anyway. Not sure why, just never can seem to get the hang of it...

After catching a few fish we decided to hike up and over the ridge toward campsite #59. The trail leaves the stream for awhile and then stays high above it once you cross the ridge. After nearly an hour of hiking and several glances at the map, the trail finally came down close enough to the stream to do some fishing. I had been using a stimulator, ehc, orange palmer and a PA with little luck, so I switched to a #16 Orange Doc's Cork. While the action was never great, I did manage to catch about a half a dozen fish with the ODC, one that was around 9". I missed a fish that was very nice along the inside of a large boulder...If I ever get back up that way......

All in all the fishing wasn't great but the scenery and the company made up for the slow day. For the record Mr. Dude caught at least twice the number that I did. I believe he was using several different setups but caught the most on an orange palmer with a dropper of some sort.

We wound up hiking over 4 miles in, so needless to say we had to hike over 4 miles back. He decided to stay and fish awhile longer, but I had leftover anniversary obligations that called me back home early. I hiked back out in about 75 minutes. The highlight of the trip out was my first encounter with a bear on a trail (I'm using the word highlight loosely). He crossed about 50 feet in front of me and went up into the brush by the side of the trail. I would have preferred to backtrack and go back to fishing, but since I was in a hurry to get home I started yelling at him (I don't sing very well), and after a few seconds he took off farther up into the woods. I hiked the remaining distance constantly looking over my shoulder...

I made it back to my explorer and quickly dropped my gear in the back of the car and swapped out my boots for shoes, pushed the lock button on the hatch and........locked myself out of the car...brilliant! Luckily a Park Ranger was in the parking lot writing someone a ticket (lucky for me that is, not the person getting the ticket...) and he had a kit to pop my locked door. Happily, I was on my way in less than 20 minutes after locking myself out...

Recap:
- Met a new fishing buddy (originator of the Mr TroutDude Cripple)
- Hiked 8.2 miles (uphill both ways.....)
- Caught 6 fish
- Locked my keys in the car

All in all, a very good day...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 10-08-2008, 03:12 PM

Sounds like a good trip Pete. Did you see anybody else fishing, tubing, hiking? I was also wondering if you noticed whether or not the campground was full?

Charlie
Old 10-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Default Not Crowded

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugg View Post
Sounds like a good trip Pete. Did you see anybody else fishing, tubing, hiking? I was also wondering if you noticed whether or not the campground was full?

Charlie
Charlie, the place wasn't packed, but wasn't a ghost town either. There were a number of folks walking up and down the roadbed part of the trail up to the bridges. I did see too very cold looking tubers that were trying their best to not get wet and a couple of guys fishing down below.

Above the bridges there were no other people fishing and only a few hiking. I did run into two guys on the trail that were coming down from CS#56 that said they caught some small rainbows over the weekend, but I wouldn't say it was crowded.

The leaves really hadn't changed yet, so there is probably another week before things get really crowded...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 10-08-2008, 07:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Here on Balsam it is like they changed overnight...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:24 PM

thanks Pete
Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

Bugg, a friend. and I are heading to Deep Creek for the day....If anyone is in the area feel free to say Hi. We'll either be in a Red or White f150. Probably 3 guys fishing together....Will post a report tonight