Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-29-2008, 11:24 PM

Default Fishing a Streamer

What's the general method? I've been stripping in about a foot of line with each pull. Is that right? I use the same method for buggers and clousers etc. Don't really do anything different.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 PM

BRF - I use a lot of streamers on the Caney, especially with the water just rising or just falling out. I am not sure if there is a standard protocol for the length of strips, I just mix it up until I get a strike, and then try to repeat the process. sometimes they hit them high in the water column, and sometimes it is better to keep it down. try it all with buggers especially, short pulls, long pulls, a mixture of both, and throw some pauses in here and there, that throws them off sometimes. and also, dont be shy when you are stripping a streamer, I was very aggressively stripping a krystal bugger down and across by the bluffs last weekend and landed/released a 21" rainbow. seems like each time I fish any kind of streamer on the caney, the retrieve that produces strikes is different. Hope this helps, and best of luck.

Mag
Old 09-30-2008, 11:33 AM

Right on maglite, I did a lot of streamer fishing in colorado this summer and caught a lot of big fish and there was never a standard retrieve. one thing i did learn was that when a clouser or bugger doesn't get the job done try anything with rabbit fur. best of luck to you.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:09 PM

Thanks guys. THat helps.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:28 PM

Default Blue

I've never had a consecutive long slow strip work....It's a reactionary thing from the trout...Most of the bigger fish especially during the day, just want your fly out of thier home! Quick small strips I've found work best...I've developed my own strip that's not nice on the non stripping hand. It's one long strip but your popping the streamer the entire time...It's like one two foot strip but your popping the line through your non streamer hand making several consecutive six inch strips. I hope that makes sense! We've got a friend that counts while stripping. 1....pause...........1, 2....pause..........1, 2, 3....pause..........repeat. Throw a long strip in there every now and again.

If you see a follow don't pause! The fish will lose interest! Keep it moving, just try and make it the craziest action you can put into the streamer.

Hope that helps!
~Brett
Old 09-30-2008, 07:50 PM

Good stuff. Yeah I knew not to pause if they followed, but that was about it!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 AM

Default Depth Streaming

You should not forget to explore different depths with the streamer, particuarly if the water is too deep to wade in.
It varies but roughly one foot of sink can be achieved with a mississippi count. Weighthing of the leader, floating and sinking lines obviously influence depth also.