Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Default Hiwassee Question

Is wading the Hiwassee with one generator running recommended?
If limited wading, what sections would be a good choice?
Also, is it a good winter river to fish?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:02 PM

Wading the Hiwassee is always tough. Think narrow rock ledges that have near vertical drop offs to deep water (ie, over the wader deep).

There are spots to be waded at 1 gen. Most are wade out to a "hole" then wade back in. Move to a new ledge, wade out, then wade back in.

0 gen is easier because the ledge tops are mostly out of the water. 1 covers most of the ledges but is not too pushy, just don't fall down the ledge. Also be ready to evacuate quickly if it changes to 2 gen.

It fishes well in the winter.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:24 PM

You can wade many places on one generator. You can cross the swinging bridge and go down the RR tracks. Look for a metal stairway and the gauging station. Wade in there. You can wade downstream and fish the edge of the weedbeds along the main channel- just be careful. From the RR side out is OK; the main channel is toward the road. As mentioned, there are some dropoffs but you can spot them easily. The thing I find difficult is negotiating the slanted ledges. Go to www.hiwassee.net for more info; Hiwassee Chapter of TU website. Winter time is decent. I was out las Friday with a couple of chapter members who invited me to join them in a driftboat. They did a lot better than be with purple or line green wooly buggers. I was limited in flies. BTW, there are hatch charts and fly recipes on that website. Post on the website forum- you might find someone who will meet you there and show you around. I am retired and fish during the week- contact me through my website- info@hiwasseecustomrods. Weekends are GKD- grandkids day. Soccer, football, basketball, baseball, etc.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM

http://www.tva.gov/lakes/aph_r.htm

Here is the link from hiwassee.net for the generating schedule for Apalachia Dam and the river.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 AM

irfishing, email me at breckdavis100@gmail.com
Have been up there the last two weekends with great success with one and two generators running.

Breck
Old 01-15-2012, 03:55 PM

I checked the generating schedule for today- great for wading!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:39 PM

There are a lot of places that can be waded on one turbine flow in the Hiwassee, depending on the fishermans wading skills. From what I've been hearing lately one turbine flow has been a very good flow for catching a lot of trout on the Hiwassee. Griffiths Gnats,Olive Wooly Buggers, and Hare's Ear Nymphs are working well lately. One friend ,who was fishing a Bugger and Hares Ear combo told me that he greatly increased his success by useing weight and getting his flies deep.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM

I checked the schedule for today. Running a bit high at 3,000-3,100 cfs. Might be risky in some places. I'm thinking about going up tomorrow for a while. Weather is supposed to be nice but the cfs will determine if it is worthwhile.
First time I took the Mrs. up there, she wasn't real excited about the flow that day. We had to hold hands and shuffle our way out of the weekbeds. I later found that the river was at 3,200 cfs. I didn't tell her for months after that. She still hasn't forgiven me!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 PM

how long does it take to get to the hiwassee from Knoxville?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM

hookedonthefly, that depends on how fast you drive! You can come down Hwy 411 out of Maryville and turn on SR 30 east to Reliance. Or down I-75, off at exit 36, s. on Hwy 11, east on SR 163 at Hardee's to Hwy 411, s. on 411 and east on SR 30. From Cleveland to K-ville is about 85 miles. About the same coming down 411. Allow at least 1-1/2-2 hours drive time. Go to www.hiwassee.net and post a day you are coming down- might have someone to meet you and fish with you. I am retired and might be able to meet you during the week- weekends are GKD (grandkid's day). The website I gave also has the flow schedule on it. About 2800 cfs is normal for two generators. Today is over 5K! Spilling from the dam to lower the lake level.

Edit: I fished Tuesday and the best access points on 2 generators are on the south side of the river from the RR tracks. There is a string of RR cars on the tracks, making you walk in the ditch as you can't walk on the steep bank with the slick rock ballast. Getting to a place to wade in was a trip!

Last edited by Knothead; 01-26-2012 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: add comment