Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-30-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Electrofishing update from Cataloochee

Just wanted to give a public thanks to Steve Moore and Matt Kulp for allowing me to help with the electrofishing survey on Cataloochee Creek over the past weekend. The project required more manpower that I realized. At least 15-17 people wading up the creek together at any one time is quite a sight plus 2-3 more folks sorting, measuring, and weighing fish on the bank. Water levels were very low. Mr. Moore estimated that the park has lost nearly 50% of it's trout over the last 2 years. It was interesting to see brook trout in lower Cataloochee. Mr. Moore said that the rainbows were most affected by drought and that the brook and brown trout adapted better. The biologists said that trout numbers will rebound as soon as more rain allows more normal flows. They also encouraged folks to keep a few fish each time to allow for growth of the remaining fish as food availability is a limiting factor in Appalachian freestone streams. Again, just wanted to say that I was very impressed by the level of dedication that the NPS fisheries biologists, NC fish and wildlife biologists, students from Haywood Community College that were volunteering, and other TU volunteers demonstrated.
Thanks,
Jedidiah Green
Old 09-30-2008, 02:25 PM

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like fun. I usually camp and fish Cataloochee near the end of September. The water has been so low the past 2 years that I just haven't wanted to do it. Last year I couldn't stand it so I made a day trip over anyway. I missed it this year and probably won't get over there. I hope to someday be able to participate in an event like that.

Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the update. I had talked to mr. moore and had every intention of helping out up there but a family emergency cancelled my plans.

I have heard that brook trout were showing up in some low elevations in that area, good to hear. Y'all shock up any decent sized browns??
Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 PM

One brown 14-16 in. found each day, not much above average other than that. That's from one 100m site above the group campground and one below the second steel bridge.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:55 PM

good stuff. thanks for the info