Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 AM

Default Fall Bass fishing?

Howdy Everyone,

I was out at Ft. Loudon Lake early on Sunday morning for a special church service and noticed that the baitfish were getting hammered by the bigger fish. Yeah, it did make it a little harder to pay attention to the sermon.

So I have a couple of questions. I assume that the bigger fish are Bass? Any suggestions on what type of streamers / flies I would use to go after these fish. Any information about fishing for these guys would be greatly appreciated.

As always, thank you for your help.

Mark
Old 10-01-2008, 01:53 PM

Over here in MS I have been using a yellow and chartreuse seaducer and it has been killer. I have bead chain eyes to give it a little weight. When I see the fish pounding the bank, I cast in there and strip it fast. I like this fly because it is light and and does not make a big splash when it hits the water. I am sure a clouser with bead chain eyes would work just as well. I tied up some Todd Wiggle Minnows and am going to give them a try this weekend. Good Luck
Old 10-01-2008, 09:43 PM

Talking Pounding the Big Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunavut4 View Post
Howdy Everyone,

I was out at Ft. Loudon Lake early on Sunday morning for a special church service and noticed that the baitfish were getting hammered by the bigger fish. Yeah, it did make it a little harder to pay attention to the sermon.

So I have a couple of questions. I assume that the bigger fish are Bass? Any suggestions on what type of streamers / flies I would use to go after these fish. Any information about fishing for these guys would be greatly appreciated.

As always, thank you for your help.

Mark
Nun, my go to flies for bass large and smallies have been poppers, particularly black and yellow bee type patterns, i've bought a Rainy's rattlin' frog size 1/0, but no takers yet on it. My poppers run in sizes 6-8 up to 1-2. Also have had some luck with #1 size streamers. Dark greens and browns. Chartruse poppers are also great for panfish this time of year too. Good Luck to ya!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 10-01-2008, 09:47 PM

Default Seaclousers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinMS View Post
Over here in MS I have been using a yellow and chartreuse seaducer and it has been killer. I have bead chain eyes to give it a little weight. When I see the fish pounding the bank, I cast in there and strip it fast. I like this fly because it is light and and does not make a big splash when it hits the water. I am sure a clouser with bead chain eyes would work just as well. I tied up some Todd Wiggle Minnows and am going to give them a try this weekend. Good Luck
Hey Mick, do think a clouser that i bought in PCB, Fl for the gulf would work on Bass? It's white and chartruse. What do ya think? Thanks.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the information guy's. I will let you know how the fishing goes after the weekend.

Mark
Old 10-02-2008, 01:00 PM

BP- They will work great! Chartreuse over white works really well on bass especially when they are schooling up the minnows. Have fun.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:53 PM

Chartreuse and white tied on a saltwater hook worked this morning on largemouth and white bass below Melton Hill dam.