Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-02-2008, 08:48 PM

Default fishing above Tremont

If anyone can help me, I would like to know the difference between fishing off of the middle prong trail, the panther creek trail, lynn camp prong, or up into sams creek? If anyone has any coments on these areas, I sure would like to hear your input. thanks again!!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 PM

Fishing off the Middle Prong Trail (Lynn Camp Prong), and any of its tributaries is off limits because of the brook trout restoration project for the next few years. If you went up there right now, you would find no fish in those streams as they have all been eliminated to be replaced with brook trout in the spring.

However, you can fish in Thunderhead Prong and Sams Creek. Between the two, I would go to Sams Creek and fish for brookies. I've always found Thunderhead Prong to be a little thin on rainbows though a number of bows were transplanted from Lynn Camp Prong over to Thunderhead during the restoration project.

Are you familiar with how to reach Thunderhead and Sams? If not, holler and we'll get you directions. Both are reached from the parking lot at the top of Middle Prong above Tremont.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 PM

the map I have shows that Sams creek is at the y at the end of the road past tremont. I shows it is off to the right going upriver. However, my map does not have Thunderhead prong listed. Is it close Sams creek?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:36 PM

What you are thinking is sams creek is thunderhead prong. Sams creek runs into thunderhead prong about a mile or so upstream from thunderhead's confluence with lynn camp, at which point it forms the middle prong of the little river.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 PM

thanks mtnman2888 and nvr2l8 for the information. are these areas hard to fish? what size are these streams?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:46 AM

Thunderhead is most likely still pretty low since they haven't had any rain recently, and therefore i'm sure sams creek is low as well. I was up in june with the water low and both thunderhead and sams creek were still fishable, just a little skinny. Sams creek is definitely a little tighter than thunderhead, with both having a pretty tight canopy in spots. If you're familiar with small stream fishing then i would have no concerns. I have caught one brown up thunderhead one time, but other than that all you will catch is rainbows until you get around sams creek, then some specs will mix in.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:57 AM

Flyguys,

These are small streams. But they are not that difficult to fish. While you won't have a lot of room for big back casts, for the most part there is adequate room for getting your fly up stream. The lower part of Sams Creek is difficult just because it is very tough getting anywhere up the bank - you pretty much have to stay in the stream.

However, if you are interested in fishing Sams, get on what is called Defeat Ridge Trail directly across the bridge from the parking lot and to the right (there are no signs to this trail). This will continue along Thunderhead prong and you will cross over Thunderhead on a metal bridge. Keep going on this trail even though it leaves the stream for a while. It will curve back around to Thunderhead above the confluence with Sams. If you cross the stream, you will see the trail pick up on the other side. Keep going on this trail and you will begin to hear Sams to your left. You need to be patient and keep going up this trail above the waterfalls (this is the natural barrier that separates the brookies on the upper part of Sams from the rainbows on Thunderhead and lower Sams. Eventually, the trail will come back close to Sams and you can begin fishing up there in a pure brookie stream.

There is a fairly high canopy over the river in most places here and it is relatively easy to fish this stream (at least as far up as I have been - could get tighter farther up). Sams is a beautiful little stream and I don't think you'll be disappointed. And its always fun to fish for specs.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 AM

Default type of hike?

hey Charlie......from the parking area, how far and difficult of hike is it. I was wondering if it was something Abby could handle. She has done the hike to Abrams Falls and out to Charlies Bunion from N. Gap parking area.

Sure would be nice to get a brookie or two (or 5)

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-03-2008, 08:39 AM

thanks guys for all the info!!
Old 10-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Bob,

It's more of a walk than a hike. Nothing at all like Abrams or Charlie's Bunion. There is very little change in elevation between the parking lot and where the trail crosses Thunderhead. It climbs a little from the crossing up to Sams but it's a fairly gradual climb. The one time that I fished Sams, I started at its confluence with Thunderhead and went up stream to above the waterfalls and then found the trail coming back out. It was a very quick walk back out. Since it was downhill all the way, I can only guess on the change in elevation but it seemed fairly easy. Nothing like the steep spots on Abrams.

bartonca@hotmail.com