Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-04-2008, 11:59 AM

Bob, just to add to what Charlie and Craig have posted. The trail is not difficult, but its not very well maintained, so in a few spots you have to look around and make sure you are heading in the right direction. After you cross the bridge there are two stream crossings to get to Sam's Creek, but the water is so low that they shouldn't be any problem.

You'll know you are at Sam's creek when you get to the hairpin in the trail. There is a faint path that breaks off the trail (at the hairpin) and you'll want to walk a little ways down it before trying to get into the stream. Like most streams, the fishing gets better the farther up the stream you go. Its a bit of a jungle, but the elevation is pretty easy.

Here's a section of a topo on the Defeat Ridge Manyway:

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Default Sam's Creek Question

Approximately how long would you say it takes to reach the access to Sam's Creek, that PeteCz describes in the post above (at the point of the hairpin on the topo map), from the Middle Prong parking lot at the confluence of Lynn Camp Prong and Thunderhead prong?

Also, the topo image shows Long Branch (creek?) on the map; do you happen to know whether that stream shows up on the GSMNP trail map. The GSMNP trail map appears to show Sam's Creek, Thunderhead Prong, and Shut-In (Creek?), but I'm not sure.

Any info you anybody could provide would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

David Ayliffe
Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 PM

David,

If you go all the way up Defeat Ridge Trail, cross Thunderhead and continue on up the trail to the upper part of Sams Creek (at the referenced hairpin), my guess is that it's around 30 - 45 minutes. I have come down that trail but have not gone up it but it doesn't really take that long.

There is a trickle of a creek that runs into Thunderhead from the direction of Long Branch on the map - guess that is it. Hardly seems big enough to even have a name. Guess Mr. Long just wanted to have something named after him.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 PM

I just made a trip up to fish Sam's creek this month and the brookies were very willing. The directions given above are the way I found it, thanks to Pete and Charlie, and Bill at LRO. The walk is easy my 5yr and 9yr old can do it with no problems. It will take about 30 minutes in from the parking area to where you can start fishing Sam's. One word of caution, when you make the creek crossing at Thunderhead I found three foot paths you want the one leading up to the right the other two go no where fast. It is well worth the walk I have made it two times and am looking forward to going back soon. My last trip (about a week and 1/2 ago) the fly of the day was a orange palmer no dropper. Good luck and have fun watch out for the wild pigs I saw about 6-8 up there but no bears.

Steve Gillespie,
The Gypsy
Old 10-31-2008, 09:36 AM

Default Sam's Creek Question

Charlie/Steve,

Gentlemen, thanks very much for the helpful information. I am hoping to try out Sam's Creek tomorrow. This will be my first trip. I am still relatively new to fly fishing, and I have only caught rainbows so far. So, this will also be my first time pursuing our native quarry.

Steve, what was the water level like up there? Also, do you recall what size orange palmer you were successful with?

Thanks again guys,

Soli Deo gloria
Old 10-31-2008, 04:54 PM

David, My son and I went up Thunderhead in early October. We didn't quite make it to Sams. Across the foot bridges the water, to me, gets a little skinny. We are new to fly fishing and we fished a little in some of the small pools but we went to lower elevations and found a little more water. It seems that they have had some rain out there since we made our trip. Maybe the water levels have come up some. Just a little info for what it is worth. Have a great trip!! flyguys.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:35 PM

Flyguys,
Thanks for the info. I know there was a little rain last week; hopefully, it will have some residual effect. We'll see. Even if we don't catch fish, I think it will be a great day to be out there. Have a great weekend.

Soli Deo gloria
Old 10-31-2008, 10:05 PM

My son and I will probably be up there (on Sams) in the afternoon for a few hours. Hopefully the water temps won't be too low for a top water bite.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayliffe View Post
Charlie/Steve,

Steve, what was the water level like up there? Also, do you recall what size orange palmer you were successful with?

Thanks again guys,
The water was a bit skinny, however Sam's has a lot of pools with good water. The palmer was #14 and the stim was also #14 smaller would have been better, but that was what I had. If you get this before you go get a handful of #16 and #14

Steve Gillespie,
The Gypsy
Old 11-01-2008, 10:39 PM

Troutman,
Was that you and your son headed up to Sam's Creek as we were on our way down this afternoon? If not, I hope whoever it was had better luck than we did.

Steve,
Thanks for the fly size suggestions. I stopped by LRO on the way up and grabbed some flies. Unfortunately, we couldn't make it happen up there today. I think we may have been out there a little too early for the dry flies, but I don't know. The water did seem a bit low. At any rate, it was certainly beautiful up there today, and I did manage a small rainbow when we got back down to Middle Prong.

Thanks again for the advice,

Soli Deo gloria