Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-30-2008, 11:58 AM

Default Clinch River 9/29/08

I floated the Clinch with a good friend of mine last Sunday. We started at the peach tree launch area and floated down to the ramp below the bridge in Clinton. It was an excellent day on the water, the fish were rising consistently all day. Mike and I probably caught somewhere around 35 fish apiece and both with a few fish over the 15 inch mark. There was a good mixture of browns, bows, and brookies, but if I had to guess I would say we caught more bows than anything else. Most of our fish came on various midge imitations but we did get a decent amount of dry fly activity. All in all it was another excellent day on the Clinch river, "which seems to have become the norm for the past summer."

Sorry I just realized that I got the date wrong it was the 28th not the 29th

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the report, and it has been quite a surprising summer on the Clinch. This fall should also be a good one.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 09-30-2008, 02:16 PM

Thumbs up Agreed!

In pursuit of trying to earn an extra buck we took a group of novice fly fisherman out to the Clinch this past Sunday. There were a total of four and I had one fly fisherman and one spin fisherman. The morning was incredible, both boats blistered fish and before noon everyone had a slam. Brookies in the 12'' benchmark and almost all beautifully colored...TWRA musta hit the gene pool right this year! They are absolutely beautiful! The fly fisherman were absolutley killing fish while the gent in the back of my boat spin fishing was catching around 4 an hour!

This report is funny because it's the exact report I told my father. He called me to tell me you posted it and say there was an eerie comparison in the reports!

Carrying on, the afternoon slowed way down but the water had obviously came up and their feeding pattern changed. We tried chunking streamers for a short time, but these guys didn't want to put the effort into making it work! Alotta casting and not alotta fish...I believe my guy lasted about 30 minutes longer than the others before changing back out to a double nymph rig!

Either way, when we got back and everyone was paying up the owner asked how many fish the spin fisherman had caught and he said "17 landed but 20 hooked" I laughed and said "Holy cow if you hooked 20 then the guy in the front of the boat caught three to four times as many easily." What I didn't know was that he was actually keeping count. We had a 70 to 80 fish day and most were caught in the morning! The other boat well surpassed the 100 fish day benchmark with ease. It was one of those magical every other cast days! There's only one or two of those a year that you can count on..I wish I woulda been standing in the front of my boat rather than rowing!

We too ran Peach Orchard down. That's a long, boat beating, section of river....If it wasn't for the money and putting gigantic smiles of faces I'd never do it again! The sad thing is, the amount of damage I did to my boat was more or less like breaking even on the trip! Theres a few spots (gouges in the gelcoat) on my boat now!

~Brett
Old 09-30-2008, 02:52 PM

Hey Brett, I sent you an email. To your gmail account...

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 09-30-2008, 03:48 PM

So you went out on low water?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:13 PM

Default Golf

Yes! Low, low water brother! That is also the first time I had tried that float. I know you can easily row upstream from Peach Orchard upstream to the interstate bridge. However floating downstream, I just don't think you could make it all the way without the water on! There was one section that we got to after lunch, the halfway point, that stretched the entire width of the river. With generation, 1 gen flowing, we managed to float about 1 to 2' over this natural dam of sorts! I would imagine the water has to flow over it somehow on low water, I just don't see how you'd get a boat over it!

~Brett
Old 09-30-2008, 06:30 PM

Brett it is only gel-coat. Try running it 60 times a year like I used to do, and some on this forum do now. I don't even remember what gel coat looks like on the bottom of a boat. I also promise that if you think that run is bad, strap on some of the other rivers in this part of the state. Some take soccer ball sized chunks and leave holes in boats.

The mark of a good drift boat is chewed up chines and jagged fiberglass. In the words of a good friend of mine, "You can tell alot about the boys in the boat, by the bottom of their boat."

Forget about it, and I wouldn't worry much until you can see light shining through the chine.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:47 PM

Wolf, yea this is true! I guess I just learned the lines on the Watauga rather well. I've floated that river, new at the oars, and haven't even put a scratch on her, and I've done some rather stupid things in it too. I'm glad to have the shoe! I'm type A personality when It comes to possessions I own, especially when I like um as much as I do the boat! You can ask my buddy who's got the same boat as I do, when my boat get's parked the boat is spotlessly cleaned including the trailor and my wheels, including the spare, have been spray shined! My boat looks brand new behind a real piece of a truck...It's almost comical pulling it...The boat is worth four times what the truck is worth!

Do you know if it's possible to make it down river, without generation from Peach Orchard to the 61 bridge? I believe I'll stick to running my boat for money on that river...I just don't know about pleasure! It's hard to enjoy rowing, well I guess I should say pushing, my boat while digging a boulder into the side of the boat! What's really funny is the chine on the shoe didn't show a scratch from all the abuse! I will say I would like to run it from the wier past Millers! with 1 flowing.

Thanks in advance!
~Brett
Old 10-01-2008, 05:13 AM

I know where you come from, and there are plenty just like you. Sure you can run it from PO to 61 with the water off, and there are only a couple of bad places. PO shoals, Coldwater, and 61 bridge. Everything in between is pretty easily avoided, but the above will always leave a mark of some kind.

If you want to avoid it, get out and walk the boat through. Also,try to avoid floating on days when TVA turns the water off any earlier then midnight the day before.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:49 AM

One of the first times I floated, they just pulsed some water and fishing was great most of the way. But since it wasn't much, by the time I got to the bend above the jail, the water dropped out on me and I had to walk my boat the entire straightaway down to the 61 bridge