Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 AM

Question Palm Coast

Has anyone fished this area? It is south of Jacksonville. It doesn't look like there is much structure in the area, but with the time of year I'm sure something is in close to shore. We are heading down there on the 20th for a week. I have a bunch of flies tied from a trip that got canceled to Port St. Joe.
Any help would be great.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 AM

What were you going to fish for in Port St Joe?

I have a friend who used to live in Mayport and he would surf cast for pompano and flounder.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:40 PM

I have not fished that region but am planning to do so. Not sure of your specific location or timing but if you are looking for inshore opportunities, this is where I would begin: http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/pellicer.html. There have been articles written in various fly fishing magazines about Pelicer Creek. It connects to the Matansas Inlet area with numerous marshes. Mantansas Inlet tidal exchange can be dangerous so be careful if you wade near the inlet. As you can tell access without a kayak/canoe/boat is difficult. The waterway through Palm Coast is the Intercoastal Waterway (ICW) and during the snowbird season boat traffic is heavy with large boats. Athough with the cost for gas, maybe not this year. I would look for public access sites with oyster bars, tidal marsh (stunted mangroves this far north, and salt grasses) and open water. The mud bottoms can be soft and sticky so watch out. Target species: red fish and trout. You can use the same flies as you were plannig for Port St. Joe area. 7wt-9wt rods.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:11 PM

GB03- we would have fished for reds, pompano, trout and anything else that came our way.

NHarrier- thanks for the help. I had seen there website already, and it is very informative. We will be staying at a beach house with friends, so hopefully I will get a chance to be on the ICW along with surf.
My 8wt TFO will hopefully have it's first victim this trip. I have an assortment of FC sand shrimp, clousers and decivers along with some copperheads. Hopefully that will be sufficient. Otherwise I will have the surf rod in the sand spike and play with my kids while waiting for it to double over.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:36 AM

Heading out Mon. Hopefully I can post a pic for this months challenge from the surf. The weather is supposed to be low's in the 60's and highs in the upper 70's. I don't think I can complain about that. Let's see if the fish want to cooperate. A Thursday fish fry is depending on it.
I also get to introduce a buddy from MN to surf fishing. They have never been to the beach. It should be a great time.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Good luck on your trip! Post up how you do when you get back.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:14 PM

Souds like alot of fun! Good luck! Lookin forward to those pics!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."