Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs

Old 09-16-2008, 03:03 PM

Default Lynn Camp Brook Trout Restoration

Gerry Romer, Steve Gillespie and I had the great fun of helping out with the brook trout restoration project on Lynn Camp and its tributaries on Monday. The day started out a little slow – our “official” participants got a late start because of some weather impacts but we quickly got down to work once everyone was assembled at the parking area above Tremont.

Steve got started in earnest first, rigging ropes to get equipment down to the bottom of the gorge at the base of the cascades. Gerry and I went with a group up to the Marks Creek trail and carried in the equipment for setting up “treating” stations at the upper end of Marks. Pretty good hike for a couple of codgers, led by two twenty-somethings from Oregon who are trail runners when they aren’t working for the Park Service. I only wish I had seen this upper section of Marks Creek before it was closed down – some beautiful little pools cascading down the mountain! We got the stations set up, ate a lunch and headed back down to Lynn Camp. From there we started what was reported to be a 900 meter fish shocking expedition. Gerry and I worked at carrying buckets, netting fish and Gerry got to carry a backpack frame with an empty container for porting the captured fish back downstream. They left the carrying of the full containers as well as the gas powered shockers to the younger, hunky park service and TWRA guys and we were glad to let them have it.

Most of the trout we captured were transported over to Thunderhead Prong along with some black-nosed dace. A few of the trout were kept to be put in a mesh cage to be used as the equivalent of coal mine canaries once the treatment starts on Wednesday. On a side note, there is a bear up in the Lynn Camp Prong area that really appreciates the cages of captured trout left for him in the river. Needless to say, Ranger Steve was not amused with the bear helping himself to these tempting morsels. We were advised that, if we ran into this bear, we were to pick up a large rock and try our best to knock him in the head with it (via throwing, I presumed). Funny, this wasn’t one of the responses I would have settled on in a quick moment of contemplation at encountering this hungry beast.

When Gerry and I got back down to the cascades, we were able to appreciate the fruits of Steve G’s efforts. A nice looking network of ropes down the side of the gorge and an assemblage of equipment was set up at the base of the cascades – maybe Steve can elaborate on the purpose of all this gear.

This was a great group of Park Service folks that we got to spend the day with. People from Oregon, Yellowstone, North and South Carolina (other places you guys remember Gerry and Steve?). Gerry and I worked our fannies off and, yet, they were still there at the end of the day. There was even time to wet a fly at the end of a long day of work. Lots of fun in support of a great project. Steve and Gerry, feel free to add in your two-cents worth on this report. Steve was planning on working three days on the project so I would be interested in reading what happened at today’s session.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-16-2008, 04:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Hey Charlie!!

Take a look over at "Fisheries Management & Biology". I couldn't help myself. I got out of the whirlpool last night and started typing... along the way I discovered something new about this message board: There's a 10,000 character limit on any post. Yeah, I had to do considerable editing to bring it in under 10,000 characters.

Anyway, had a great time yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and Steve and having the opportunity to put in some time on this thing. Still undecided about Thursday morning. The cold clear light of day revealed just how out of shape I really am. You know that old saw about finding muscles you didn't know you had?? Well my muscles are finding places they didn't know they had!!

Gerry
Old 09-16-2008, 08:43 PM

As you can see Charlie has really summed up everything very well. Also I spent most of that day rigging ways to transport stuff down to the bottom of the Cascades. This was a lot of fun for me, I was able to use skilles I learned years ago in rigging. (Note: This was the first time I have used them outside of school) I was unable to return today, but I will be there tomarrow I have a few pics (to busy to take many) and I will get more tomarrow and I will post them for you all to see. In total agreement with Charlie this was a great group of people to work with and they kept us total informed and updated on the entire project (Lynn Camp) I will also post tomarrow night as to the capture of THE BEAR. This was well worth the sore, tired bodies and I would recommend anytime you have a chance to work with the GSMNP guys do it.
HEY GUYs You may have to teach the New Guy how to add pics

Steve Gillespie,
The Gypsy
Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 PM

Steve, Check out Gerry's report under Fisheries Management and Biology. Much more extensive report of the day - and much more color.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 AM

Default Wed. on Lynn Camp

I have added Wed. news and report on the Fisheries Management & Biology
Board along with the ones from yesterday and Mon. To Sum it up great work, with great learning, and great fun.
Alan M. If you read this and would like to add something put over on the Management board. I look foreward to seeing your post.

Steve Gillespie,
The Gypsy
Old 09-27-2008, 04:42 PM

Boy, the bears must have thought they had stumbled into a Cracker Barrel.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/se...trout-project/
Old 09-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

more like a Captain D's