Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-10-2008, 02:17 PM

Smile

Thanks for all the help! I fished about 2 1/2 hours with a 22 midge and caught 5 rainbows in the 8 - 10" range. I was really happy with that. Fishing in the Smokies is tough, so to me, it was a stellar day. I met a good guy there, AppAngler aka Mike. He helped me with reading the river and also gave me a couple of midges that he had tied to use. He didn't have to help me, but when I told him it was the first time I had been there and that I was fairly new to fly fishing, he offered to help me any way he could. Thanks to him and to you guys...

Couldn't ask for a better morning. I could ask for a better afternoon though, I'm at work now...

Greg
Old 10-10-2008, 03:34 PM

I have never met anyone from this board that hasn't offered to help while on the water or on a thread...gotta love LRO and East Tennessee!!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:59 PM

Try a #18 the next time. I swear it will work better, it is more visible and more in line with the size of pupa the fish target. There is little if any nutrional value in a 22, and it is more difficult for a fish to separate it from all the junk floating with the current.

With nymphs on the CLinch the size isn't as critical as the general conformation of the patter. If they are eating midges anything small, thin, and dark will work within reason. Don't fish 14's but you can get away with 18's all day long, and most of the time a 16 will work as well.